Friday, May 24, 2013

Decorated Sugar Cookies

Somebody pinch me, I can't believe this really happened!  Someone actually paid me money to bake something... seriously.  I'm totally over the moon because someday I will get to bake and plan parties and entertain all the time and not have to commute to work and sit in front of a computer anymore (except to blog of course, I wouldn't leave you people all alone, I know how much you need me.)


A lovely lady asked me to make sugar cookies for a baby shower.  The cutestest part is that the cookies are in the shape of neck ties... for a little baby boy shower.  A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E.  Have I told you how much I love showers?  They're my favorite kind of parties because they are all about presents and dessert... two of my favorite things.





















The colors on the invitation were white, green and blue which so I made sure the cookies matched perfectly with the theme.  I lined each of cookies with royal icing and flooded it with the same color to create a clean background for each tie.  Then came the fun/stressful part.


Why is it also stressful?  Because someone is paying me money for these so they can't suck.  It's one thing to make something for yourself that's no good.  It's kind of OK to give away things that aren't perfect (CA's coworkers get a 90% of the treats I reject for being ugly - but only if they still taste good).  However, it is completely unacceptable to take money for something that's ugly or tastes like crap.  Period.


I had no doubts that these would taste good.  I've used these recipes for sugar cookies and royal icing countless times and they are foolproof.  I was a little stressed about the designs, I wanted them to be cute and colorful and look like actual ties.  I don't think I hit the nail on the head as far as tie accuracy.  About halfway through decorating CA asked if I wanted him to bring all his ties down so I could look at the designs but I declined.  He also felt compelled to point out that the design on the knot of the tie shouldn't be oriented in the same direction as the design on the bottom.  Thanks for your input babe (insert sarcasm face here). Whatever, I think they're pretty darn cute and my client was happy too.



Sugar Cookies
makes approximately 30 large cookies

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Butter, softened
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar

Instructions
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined.  Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.

Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour until chilled (it can be chilled overnight as well).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut into a desired shape.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until set and barely golden brown.  Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.

Royal Icing

Ingredients
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
4 cups (1/2 lb) Powdered Sugar
Instructions
Add the egg whites and cream of tartar to the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.  Whisk on medium speed until the egg whites are foamy.  Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined.  Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until the icing is smooth and shiny, about 3 minutes.

Color the icing with gel food coloring, if desired.  Use the icing to trace outlines and decorations on the sugar cookies.  To fill the cookies, thin out the icing by adding water 1/4 tsp at a time.  (I find this tutorial to be very helpful).  Let the cookies dry completely.

Enjoy!
Julie







No comments:

Post a Comment