Thursday, May 1, 2014

Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Cookies

I have not jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon.  Apparently it's full of all sorts of health benefits, etc.  I bought a jar of coconut oil on a whim and used it one other time which meant that it was sitting in my cabinet.  I had every intention of trying to cook with it, but I did not.  I'm an olive oil girl and given that this single jar of coconut oil sat in my pantry for at least a year while I went through multiple jars of olive oil, I don't imagine that is changing any time soon.


Unless it means that I get to make these cookies again.  I was super surprised by how delicious they were.  I'm a sucker for peanut butter cookies and I may have amped them up just a little bit by adding peanut butter chips which were fortuitously sitting adjacent to the coconut oil in my pantry.
The oil acts like the butter does in a regular peanut butter cookies but they need to be chilled really well after they're scooped to firm up the dough.  At room temperature coconut oil is solid, like butter is when its cold, so it has to be warmed up a little bit to mix up the cookie dough.  Once the dough is chilled it is quite firm and that keeps the cookies nice and round and puffy when are baked.


I am a big fan of these cookies and CA was too.  They do have a slight coconut flavor but its pretty subtle.  They are puffy and soft which is my favorite cookie status.  I might just pretend to convert to coconut oil again just so I can not use it for cooking and make these cookies again.

Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Cookies
Adapted from Averie Cooks

Ingredients
3/4 cup Peanut Butter (crunchy or creamy)
1/2 cup Coconut Oil, softened (softened but not melted)
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 T Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Potato or Corn Starch
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 bag Peanut Butter Chips 

Instructions
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the peanut butter, coconut oil and sugar and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. 

Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until just incorporated.

Add the flour, potato or corn starch, baking soda and salt and mix on low speed until just combined.  Add the peanut butter chips and mix on low speed until just incorporated.

Roll golf ball sized balls of dough and place them on a cookie sheet.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart.

Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until tops have just set.  Even if they look slightly undercooked, they will firm up as they cook. 

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment