Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Triple Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies

Wow - this is the last thing I baked in my old house in Virginia.  It feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago when this happened but in reality it was the end of February when I made these.  Did it seriously take me over two months to write about them?


These brownies were a pantry clearing dream!  Multiple kinds of chocolate, half a bag of marshmallows, powdered sugar, milk and cocoa powder were all taken care of in one fell swoop...

I just looked up that expression to make sure I was spelling it right and my whole life I thought it was fowl swoop - like swooping birds.  It is not.

I think my version makes more sense.
The base of these brownies comes together pretty easily without any special equipment - just a couple of bowls and spoons.  What I like about this brownie base is that it is made with just cocoa powder. 

Why???

Because I never plan to make brownies.  Brownies occur in my house based on a sudden and immediate craving for chocolate and my pantry is far more likely to contain cocoa powder than it is to contain other types of chocolate (except chocolate chips, I always have chocolate chips).  The great thing about this recipe is that I very likely have everything required to make it just lying around and when I want brownies, I want them now... there's no time to go to the store.


Besides the brownie base, I amped these up with some frosting (which had everything to do with getting rid of the random chocolate lying around) and marshmallows (which had everything to do with the half a bag of marshmallows staring at me).

I was very pleased with how the frosting turned out - it set up enough that I didn't worry about it getting all gooshy when I put the leftovers in a plastic baggie to give away because I was about to pack all of my storage containers.


These are pretty great brownies - the base is easy and fudgey which is my brownie preference (as opposed to cakey).  The frosting is also sweet and rich.  These are great staples to use together or separately and putting marshmallows on top of chocolate is never a bad idea.

Triple Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies
Adapted from Food

Ingredients

For the Brownies 
1 cup Canola Oil
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup All Purpose Flour

For the Frosting
1 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
3 oz. Milk Chocolate
4 T Butter, at room temperatue
1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
3 T Milk

2 cups Marshmallows

Instructions

For the Brownies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9"x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until combined.  Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until combined.

In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and flour.

Add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix until just combined.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan.  Bake for 30 minutes, until set in the middle.  Cool completely before frosting.

For the Frosting
Melt the chocolates together in a microwave safe bowl by microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring in between heating sessions until melted.  Add the remaining ingredients (except the marshmallows) until smooth.

Preheat the broiler.

Spread the frosting on top of the cooled brownies.  Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows.  Broil for 30 seconds until the marshmallows are lightly toasted.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment