Monday, January 27, 2014

Creamed Spinach

I love it when I'm eating something and it feels like it's bad for me but it's not.  This side dish is packed with spinach which we all know is good for us but it's creamy and salty and makes you feel a little bit bad

CA took one bite and looked at me like I'd fed him chocolate cake for dinner (that's never happened - when I eat cake for dinner I tell him I'm not making dinner and he has to find his own food.  If he chooses to also eat cake it's not because I served it to him). 

I looked at him like "What?" 

"This is really decadent."

"It's spinach."

"I know but it's really creamy."

"That's because there's cheese in it."

"I know but why is it so creamy."

"and Fat Free Sour Cream."

"Huh.  This is really good.  You should make this again."

"OK."

We have the most exciting dinner conversations.



This takes all of 10 minutes to throw together which is fantastic and besides the giant tub of spinach, I always have everything else hanging around the house.


The onions get sauteed for a few minutes until soft, then the garlic goes in followed by the spinach. 

The best thing about spinach is that it cooks so fast - it wilts completely in approximately 2-3 minutes.  The worst thing about spinach is that you start off with this seemingly huge amount of food and end up with a very small amount of food.  CA and I can polish off an entire box of spinach in one sitting, provided it's been cooked.

After the spinach cooks, season with salt and pepper, add some Parmesan cheese and a little bit of sour cream and you're done.


Obviously this was a big hit in our house and I'll be repeating this performance many times because it was so darn good.  Just call me Popeye.
 
Creamed Spinach
4 servings

Ingredients
 2 T Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped Onion
 1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

10 oz. Spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
 2 T Sour Cream

Instructions
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the spinach (you may have to add it in a little bit at a time if it doesn't all fit in your skillet) and saute until wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the cheese and sour cream and stir until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.  Check the taste and add more salt if desired.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment