Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 74: Witches Hats

Too bad I didn't get my act together in time to make these three months ago for Halloween.  I remember looking at the recipe sometime in October and thinking that I should really make these soon and then I didn't.


These treats actually look like little witches hats when they're done (provided you're adept with a pastry bag).  Basically these little hats have 3 components.
1.  The brim: made from a round Speculoo cookie.  I've made these before and they're a tasty little cinnamon cookie.
2.  The crown: which is vanilla marshmallow piped on top of the cookie with a little point on the top.  I've made the marshmallow recipe in this cookbook in one variation already (the Marshmallow eggs which were NOT one of my favorites, even discounting the fact that I had an embarrassing mix up between silver leaf and silver leaf gelatin).


3.  The hat cover (is this a real thing?): the whole treat gets covered in chocolate which makes it look more like a witches hat... in color anyway.


The marshmallows came out great - vanilla marshmallows taste way better than weird sour marshmallow eggs.  I was surprised the marshmallow stayed soft enough, long enough to pipe it onto the cookies.  I managed to get most of them into hat shapes.

I decided not to full cover every single hat in chocolate.  For some unknown reason, my chocolate wasn't melting very well so it was very thick and I was worried that there would be a giant, hard layer of chocolate on the hats that you wouldn't even be able to bite through so I covered half of them and drizzled the other half.


These are a fun little treat and someone at work actually recognized them as hats (he was leaning more towards a sorting hat which is some kind of Sorcerer/Harry Potter thing but I'll take it).  It sounds a little weird, but the cinnamon cookie goes really well with the vanilla marshmallow and the chocolate - it's almost like a little S'More hat.  If I made these again and it still wasn't Halloween, I would probably make little sandwiches out of them or I could just make them at Halloween and impress everyone with my wicked treats.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment