Monday, October 28, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 62: Speculoos

Speculoos are a simple spice cookie from Belgium.  The spice in them is all cinnamon which makes them perfect for Fall.



These cookies are made in a typical cookie dough fashion...

Butter is creamed with white sugar, brown sugar and honey.  That is combined with a mixture of regular flour, cake flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.  Done.

I think it's interesting that there is whole wheat flour in this recipe.  In the end I think it pairs really well with the cinnamon and gives some weight to the cookie.

The dough needs to be chilled for a while so that you can roll it out - there's quite a bit of butter in here (fine by me) so it needs a chance to harden back up.
I cut these into what I'm claiming are leaves, although I have a sinking suspicion that this isn't actually a leaf cookie cutter, but a clover cookie cutter meant for St. Patrick's Day.  Oh well.


Thomas gives two suggestions for topping these cookies - either with powdered sugar after they are baked or with crystal sugar before they are baked.  I opted for the latter with turbinado sugar and I'm glad I did.  The sugar adds a nice crunch.


I really liked these cookies - the cinnamon makes them very warm and comforting and perfect as the weather is getting colder.  CA liked them too even though he doesn't like spice cookies.  He's full of surprises.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment