Monday, October 21, 2013

Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad

I've never really thought of salads as having recipes... they're more like assembly instructions.

I also had no intention of sharing this salad with you because, like I said, it's not a recipe.


For those reasons I did not take pictures of the ingredients or the assembly.  In fact, I wouldn't have even taken a picture of the finished salad if CA hadn't asked if I'd taken a picture because it was so pretty.  Therefore, I snapped a few pics and dug in with my fork.


Much to my surprise this salad was freakin' delicious.  It came to be simply because my kind and thoughtful neighbor brought us a little jar of local walnut oil.  In light of the conversation we had yesterday about foods gifts, you will know how much I enjoyed receiving the walnut oil and had to find the perfect application for it.  This salad was the big winner.

So, here I will provide you with the assembly instructions for this salad because it was so darn tasty.  Even CA, who is not a fan of fruit in salad, liked this one.  I think it had everything to do with the blue cheese which is the perfect compliment to both the sweet pears and the deep flavor walnuts & walnut oil.

Pear, Walnut & Blue Cheese Salad
Serves 2 (as a main dish)

Ingredients
1 Shallot, minced
3 T Red Wine Vinegar
9 oz. Mixed Lettuces (about a bag and a half if you're lazy like me)
2 Pears, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Radishes, thinly sliced
2 oz. Blue Cheese
1/4 cup Walnuts, toasted
2 T Walnut Oil
Freshly Ground Pepper

Ingredients
Combine the shallots and vinegar in a small bowl and allow to sit in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.  Divide the lettuce, pears, radishes, blue cheese and toasted walnuts into two serving bowls.  Top each with half of the vinegar/shallot mixture and walnut oil.  Finish with freshly ground black pepper.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment