Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 60: Caramel Apples

The first time I ever made caramel apples was last Fall when my friend Squirrel invited me over to make them.  She had all the trimmings... caramel (obviously), chocolate, nuts, Oreo crumbs, salt and much more.  It was really fun and the apples were super delicious! 


What I learned that day is that eating an entire caramel apple will make you sick. (I'm ignoring the fact that I also swiped a significant amount of toppings  in addition to eating my own decorated apple. I attribute my angry tummy only to the one apple.)  Therefore, when I saw the caramel apple recipe in this cookbook, I knew I wanted to make them smaller.  Unfortunately, my grocery store does not sell mini apples - which by the way, is an amazing idea that I should patent immediately - so I sliced up the apples before dipping them in caramel.

The caramel here is the caramel jam recipe that I used in the Caramel Nut Tart and the Fuhgeddaboutits and it's perfect for caramel apples.  It is just firm enough to hold onto the apple without being too hard when it cools.

What I did not consider when deciding to dip slices of apples in caramel instead of whole apples is that the sides of sliced apples are wet.  This meant that the caramel had trouble sticking to the sides.  I did the best I could and managed to get the majority of the cut sides covered.


These caramel apples get dressed up with a drizzle of chocolate and some toasted almonds.  Aren't they pretty?

Fair warning, that because the apples are cut into slices they only keep for one day until the juice starts leaking out and mixing with the caramel to create a lovely caramel water in the bottom of the Tupperware you're keeping them in in the refrigerator.  Not pretty.

Despite how temperamental the apple slices can be, I don't regret making these this way.  Giant apples would not have been eaten nearly as quickly.  In fact, I'm pretty sure no one at work would have snagged up a giant caramel apple and eaten it sitting over their computer.  Bad idea.

Overall, these are pretty awesome!


Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment