Thursday, October 3, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 56: Cherry Whipped Cream Doughnuts

I'm so sad that this is the last doughnut recipe in this book.  I clearly remember the first time I made doughnuts and how terrified I was of frying them.  After the third iteration I feel like an old pro.

The dough for these doughnuts is the same as for the last two sets (vanilla-sugared doughnuts and chocolate-glazed diplomats) so I didn't take any more photos for you.  Sorry.
Everyone of these fried up perfectly!  No burning, no doughy centers.  Yeah for me!
These doughnuts were filled with the cherry jam we talked about a few days ago.  As far as jams go, the cherry was pretty good.  I've never had cherry jam or jelly before (since I don't actually like or eat it) and it wasn't bad.  What I did NOT like is that it looks like my doughnuts have been stabbed and are bleeding out.  The jam was probably a little too thin so it struggled to stay inside the doughnuts.

After filling the doughnuts with cherry jam, they get topped with sweetened whipped cream and a cherry on top.  Let's be clear that it was not my idea to pipe the whipped cream on top like this.  I was trying to match the photo in the cookbook (and did a pretty darn good job) but this is completely impractical.  You can't possibly eat this without snorting a bunch of whipped cream up your nose because you're laughing at the fact that you tried to pick it up and eat it and your husband is watching you because he knows exactly what is going to happen.  Snorting stuff up your nose hurts - don't do it.


My doughnut verdict is that I liked the vanilla-sugared doughnuts the best - to be specific I liked the doughnut holes.  Yes, they're simple, but you really get to appreciate the flavor and texture of the dough without getting distracted by miscellaneous creams and jams.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment