Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 44: Chocolate Glazed Diplomats

I do my best to photograph the ingredients of all the recipes I make for you.  Generally, they look like this...

But before that happens, there's this...


I generally just throw everything on the counter, then organize it for you to fool you into thinking that I'm organized while I'm baking.  You've probably seen through this rouse by now considering I get distracted and burn things at least 25% of the time.

Anyway, I made doughnuts again.  Actually, I made doughnuts, diplomat cream and chocolate glaze again.  There was really nothing new in this recipe so you can just click here and here and here and we'll call it a day.

Bye.

I kid.

Link #2 will remind you of my love affair with diplomat cream (essentially pastry cream lightened with whipped cream) and I remain steadfastly loyal to my beloved diplomat cream (at least for today, tomorrow holds untold joys of peanut butter  and pastry cream which you're going to have to wait to discover).

So, the doughnut dough came together well again this time... no issues, which was cool.  Because these doughnuts were destined to be filled, they are fried up sans holes.  I made them a little smaller than the directions called for so I'd have more to share at work.
I'm still not 100% comfortable with frying and I definitely burned the first batch of doughnuts but I eventually got the hang of the timing (which was far less than the cookbook said - so I blame Thomas Keller for the first burnt batch) and the subsequent batches came out much better.

You can see the progression from cripsy and too dark to golden fried in the photo.  You can also spot the doughnuts that I rerolled in an effort to have as many doughnuts as possible... they're not perfectly round, but they taste just the same.
Once the doughnuts cool they get stuffed with diplomat cream.  I may have been a little aggressive with the amount of cream I piped into each doughnut (do I have to remind you how good this stuff is?).  There were some small explosions including one that resulted in diplomat cream launching itself into my hair.  Don't worry, I picked it out and ate it.  I'm aware that that's gross, but I did it.


After stuffing comes glazing and I still can't make Thomas Keller's chocolate glaze recipe because I can't find Neutral Glaze... honestly I can't figure out what it is so I've ignored it and continue with the Alton Brown Chocolate Glaze recipe which I'm very pleased with.

So these little jokers are tasty and I don't even really care about doughnuts.  As much as I adore diplomat cream, I think I like the sugared doughnuts better.  Call me boring.


CA liked them too as did my coworkers and his coworkers.  Unfortunately I made them on the same day I made another treat which was pretty darn amazing and I think these guys got overshadowed by those guys but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear about that.  Have patience (I don't, but you should).

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment