Friday, August 9, 2013

Oatmeal Cream Pies

I pinned this recipe over a year ago.  I was interested in it because I really love to make traditionally store bought desserts from scratch.  I thought that I'd make these for my brother in law who LOVES Oatmeal Cream Pies.  They were the premier item in many a care package that I've sent to him when he was away from home.


I didn't actually make these for my BIL.  Not that I'm not willing to, but he's not here.  Maybe if he comes to visit me, I'll make them for him.  That's not a bribe.

I made these for CA's bake sale (along with the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Popcorn Bars we talked about yesterday).

The cookie part is made from butter, brown sugar, regular sugar, molasses, vanilla, eggs, flour, cinnamon and oatmeal.  You know... regular old oatmeal cookie stuff.

What I like about the cookie is that it's nice and thin but it stays perfectly chewy when it's baked and you know I'm partial to chewy cookies.
The filling is made up of a powdered sugar, vanilla, a little salt water, marshmallow fluff (YUM) and shortening (YUCK).  I hate shortening.  It tastes like absolutely nothing but it leaves a disgusting film in your mouth.  I'll be perfectly honest that this filling tastes nasty by itself.  To me it just tastes like shortening.  However, pair this filling with a couple of cookies and it tastes EXACTLY like an oatmeal cream pie.


Despite the filling that you shouldn't eat solo (which makes me sad because I love eating some filling solo), these are pretty awesome and compete with the small Deborah's.


You can find the recipe over at Craving Chronicles.  I followed it exactly and so should you.

Enjoy!
Julie

PS ~ I'll be taking a break for a few days because I'll be having house guests for the next couple of weeks.  It means that I'll be cooking and baking more than usual, but it also means that I won't have time to write.  I promise there will be some awesome stuff coming your way once my hostessing duties are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment