Monday, August 5, 2013

Baking Bouchon: Recipe 43 - Gingerbread


CA doesn't like gingerbread, or so he says.  What he actually doesn't like are gingerbread cookies.

I love gingerbread cookies - especially the soft ones that are shaped like chunky people with royal icing and buttons made out of red hots.

I love red hots... and hot tamales... and all cinnamon flavored candy

I don't think either of us have ever actually had gingerbread (the cake) and we were both pleasantly surprised.

The recipe makes two loaves of gingerbread.  As much ginger as is in the cake (over a tablespoon) there is an unexpectedly aggressive amount of molasses in here (over a cup).  There is also a ton of dark brown sugar which is just sugar with molasses which is extra aggressive.
This is one of the easiest cake recipes I've made so far in this cookbook.  There weren't any crazy instructions and I didn't even have to refrigerate the batter overnight so there was instant gratification which I'm a big fan of.  CA tells me at least once a day that I have no patience and he's right.

The other thing I liked about this recipe is the addition of lemon zest.  I tasted the batter before and after adding the zest (are you surprised?) and I really liked the way it made the flavors just a little bit brighter.

I should really invest in matching loaf pans.  I have no idea why I have two sizes but it bothers me that they don't match when I make more than one loaf of something.  Not just because they don't match, but because I have to bake them for different lengths of time.  I don't need another thing to keep track of when I'm baking considering I'm usually multitasking.

CA actually liked the gingerbread which was very surprising.  He doesn't only dislike gingerbread cookies but just about every baked good with warm spices in it... like spice cake.  This is kind of like spice cake so I'm still confused about why he doesn't hate it.

I also got a lot of compliments on this when I brought it to work.

I liked it too except that I have an issue with how it looks.  There's nothing wrong with the way it looks except that it looks like chocolate cake and when you eat something that looks like chocolate cake and doesn't taste like chocolate cake it's very confusing.


It also looks like pumpernickel but it doesn't taste like that either.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment