Thursday, August 1, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan (and my new present!)

Is it weird that on my birthday I opened a box and saw the Le Creuset label on the box inside the box and about jumped up and squealed?

CA has it so easy.  All he has to do is buy me something for my kitchen and I'm happy.  Screw diamonds, I want cast iron.
Introducing my brand new Le Creuset Signature Deep Skillet in Flame.  Have I told you I'm obsessed with orange?

Obviously, I had to find something to make in my new skillet immediately and I had this eggplant lying around.  Truth be told neither CA or I like eggplant.  Sometimes we like it in restaurants but every time I make it it turns out gross and soggy and wet which is frustrating because I want to like eggplant.  I keep thinking that if I cook it just right we'll have an eggplant revelation like I did with mushrooms a couple of years ago (I used to hate mushrooms and made it my 2011 goal to like them.  I forced myself to order them in every restaurant we went to until I figured out that they're supposed to taste like dirt.)

Anyway, the one way I have made eggplant before that we liked was to make it into eggplant parmesan... because you could bread and fry a tire and it would taste good.
Eggplants are full of water and in some recipes it's important to get that water out of the eggplant so you don't get a big ole' soggy mess.  You do this by slicing them, covering them in salt and letting them sit for a while.  The salt draws the moisture out of the eggplant which yields a firmer veggie when all is said and done.

I came up with a pretty traditional breading for the eggplant but with a small twist... I not only used whole wheat bread crumbs but ground up saltine crackers in the breading. If you've read this blog for five minutes you'll know that I did this because the saltines were taking up space in my pantry.  I love getting rid of stuff in my pantry.

All practicality aside, I liked the combo of bread and cracker.  The saltines are nice and salty so you don't have to add much additional salt to the recipe to have a well seasoned round of eggplant.




For simplicity's sake, I topped these golden rounds with jarred tomato sauce (don't judge me, sometimes I have other things to do) and of course some cheese.  I went with a combo of mozzarella for the melty/creamy effect and parmesan for the sharp/salty effect. 


Overall this was a good, satisfying, vegetarian meal and still the only way I know how to make eggplant that CA and I don't hate.

Eggplant Parmesan
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 Large Eggplant, cut into eight 1/2" slices
Salt

1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

2 Eggs, lightly beaten

2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, toasted and ground (about 3/4 cup)
15 Saltine Crackers, ground (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

1/4 cup Olive Oil

2 cups Tomato Sauce
1 cup shredded Mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

Instructions:
Lay the eggplant slices out on a paper towel and generously salt one side.  Flip the slices over and salt the other side.  Let them sit for 1/2 hour until you see water sitting on the surface of the slices.  Rinse and dry the slices.

Combine the flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp garlic powder in a small bowl.

Lightly beat the eggs in another small bowl.

Combine the bread crumbs, saltine crumbs, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, oregano, 1/4 tsp pepper and red pepper flakes in a third small bowl.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Place a baking rack on top of a sheet pan.

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  Dip the slices first in the flour mixture, followed by the eggs and then the bread crumb mixture making sure both sides are coated.  Lay the slice into the hot oil and cook until brown (about 3 minutes).  Flip over and cook the other side until brown (an additional 3 minutes).

Once both sides are cooked, place the eggplant slice on the baking rack and put the baking rack in the oven.  Repeat cooking process until all the slices are cooked.  Bake the slices for 20 minutes in the oven to ensure they are cooked through.

Lay a one slice of eggplant on each of four plates.  Top with 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with both cheeses.  Top with another eggplant slice and another 1/4 cup of tomato sauce.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each stack.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment