Friday, August 30, 2013

THE Baked Beans

Today is the first post in a line of posts in which I stink at taking pictures.  Apparently, when I had a bunch of house guests I completely lost track of what I'd taken photos of and what I hadn't while doing all this cooking.  Oops.  Today you get ingredients and before pictures but you will receive no after pictures.  Sorry guys... if I could fix it, I would.  I, however, will not be remaking everything just to take after pictures.  I like you all, but not that much.


My family calls these THE baked beans.  They're not just any beans, they're special.  We've been making them for years and I have no idea where the recipe came from.  There's a lot going on in these beans - but I think there are two things that make them extra special.

#1 - Sausage: because on a day where someone came and roasted a 60 pound pig in my yard, we needed to eat more pork

#2 - Rotel Tomatoes: the chilis in the tomatoes add some extra zing but not too much heat that they're not palatable for the masses

There's also green onions, BBQ sauce, brown sugar and mustard in case you need more reasons to love these beans.

Generally, I find baked beans to be pretty boring.  I'd pick another side dish 90% of the time but these are the exception.  They are quite exceptional if beans can be called exceptional.  I know one thing for sure, despite this recipe making an aggressive amount of beans there were very few leftovers which is always a good sign.


THE Baked Beans
feeds at least 30 people

Ingredients
84 oz. Baked Beans, partially drained
2 lb. Breakfast Sausage, cooked, crumbled & drained (1 hot and 1 regular)
1 bunch green onions, diced
2 cans Rotel Tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup Yellow Mustard
1/2 cup Brown Sugar

Instructions
Mix all the ingredients together and baked in a 13"x9" pan at 375 degrees for 1 - 1 1/3 hours. 

Enjoy!
Julie

1 comment: