Monday, September 2, 2013

S'More Bar

I'm so excited about this!  The final chapter of the big party was a S'More Bar.  CA was totally skeptical of this idea (he doesn't really like S'Mores which is the most unnatural thing I've ever heard).  CA was totally wrong.  People loved the S'More Bar just as much as I did.



Here's the run down...

Marshmallows - I thought about making homemade marshmallows but I thought the effort would be better spent on making sure we had variety in the rest of the S'more components.  The marshmallow is really just the glue so I think I made the right decision.

Roasters - I used sternos as the "campfire" and metal skewers to toast the marshmallows.  It worked really well and was a no maintenance/no mess solution.



Graham Crackers - I gave people two options here.  The first was a traditional graham cracker.  The second was gluten free graham crackers.  We had a few gluten free party-goers and I looked high and low for store bought gluten free graham crackers but I was unsuccessful.  I would have settled for a shortbread or any plain cookie but I couldn't find them.  I used this recipe from Living Without and they were perfect!


  Chocolate - I had four varieties of chocolate available

1. Traditional Hershey Bar
2. Dark Chocolate Hershey Bar
3. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
4. Caramel Filled Chocolate

Enough said.

Extra stuff...
- Nutella
- Peanut Butter
- Bananas


This S'More Bar was super successful!  The kids and adults loved it and CA even admitted he was wrong and it was a good idea (HA!)

My personal favorite combination was graham crackers, 2 marshmallows (because you always have to have 2 marshmallows on a S'More, even if it means you end up wearing it), a peanut butter cup and bananas.  It was amazing!  I also enjoyed a dark chocolate, nutella combo.  I won't name all the other combinations because then you'll know how many I had and I'm not prepared to admit that.

Enjoy!
Julie

1 comment: