Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Granola

I hate to burst your bubble, but granola is freakin' terrible for you!  I hope you know by now that this stuff is loaded with sugar.  It's ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the 90's thought granola was the healthiest thing ever until we realized you might as well be eating pixie stix and pop rocks.


This version is better for you.  It still has sugar in it, but not as much as most of the stuff you buy in the store.  At least the sugar here is natural sugar... honey & maple syrup.  Plus, I cut way back on the amount the recipe called for.  Of course, that means that the granola doesn't really clump together like it's supposed to but it's a trade off I'm willing to make.

I realize that the previous paragraph makes me sound like a huge hypocrite because normally I'm posting sugar coma inducing recipes on this blog.  I get it. I'm very self aware.  However, I like to save my sugar bombs for treats and snacks - I don't want to be tricked into thinking something is healthy when it's not.

I haven't really eaten much granola since the 90's but I grab a handful of this stuff every time I pass through the kitchen which is probably dangerous, but at least it's better than eating Fun Dip... at lease there's a few vitamins in here from the whole grain oats and nuts.  CA has also been seen eating this for breakfast with a little milk on it.  I was really surprised to see him eating it since I'd never seen him eat granola.  Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any man eat granola.  Is it girly?

Granola is pretty darn easy to make - you mix up a bunch of stuff, spread it on a pan and bake it at a low temperature to dry it out.  It does take some time and having the oven on for two hours in the middle of the summer is not pleasant in my kitchen but other than that I have no complaints.


I made a big batch of this for all the guests I had in town recently - but feel free to half the recipe if you're looking for a normal "cereal box" size.

PS - if you use gluten free oats this recipe is gluten free for all of you who care about that.

Granola
adapted from Wheat-Free.org

Ingredients
5 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup shelled Sunflower Seeds
1/3 cup Coconut (shredded or desiccated)
1/2 cup Pecans
1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Almond Butter (or peanut butter)
3 T Coconut Oil (or canola oil)
5 oz. bag Dried Cranberries

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Spray two sheet pans with non-stick cooking spray

In a large bowl mix together the oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, pecans and almonds.

In a small saucepan combine the honey, syrup, almond butter and oil.  Stir over low heat until smooth and combined.

Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix together.

Spread the mixture evenly on the two sheet pans.  Bake for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes until dry and golden brown.  All to cool to room temperature.

Once cool, stir in the dried cranberries.  Store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment