Friday, September 13, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 47: Banana Muffins

So far in this cookbook we've made Corn Muffins, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and Blueberry Muffins.  These Banana Muffins are definitely my favorite so far!  I've got three more varieties to go... Bran, Pumpkin & Carrot... so we'll see how they stand up over time (especially against my usual favorite, pumpkin).


Don't let the photo above mislead you, the actual muffin is made with 100% cake flour.  The all purpose flour is only for the streusel topping. 

The cake flour definitely helps these muffins be the lightest banana muffins I've ever made.  In his description of these muffins, Thomas also says that he uses less banana than most recipes which makes for a light and fluffy texture.  There's also a bit of creme fraiche mixed in which he says helps too (although I'm not sure how less than two tablespoons can make that much difference).

The rest of the ingredients in the muffins are standard... baking soda & powder, salt, butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
The one thing I believe must be the part of any good muffins is streusel.  I'm convinced you should put some type of streusel on every single muffin.  Why wouldn't you?

This streusel is made from flour, sugar, walnuts, butter and salt.

I am generally a pecan person rather than a walnut person.  My family is kind of Southern and we lean towards pecans (Hello, Pecan Pie!).  I hardly ever have walnuts in the house and if a recipe calls for them, I just use pecans.  Despite this, you'll be proud to know I actually bought and used walnuts in this recipe.  No substitutions.

I can't say it was better with walnuts, it probably would have been just as good with pecans.  Honestly, any nuts in a streusel is good.


These muffins baked up perfectly!  They were light in texture, golden brown and had just enough banana flavor.  The streusel was key and quite delicious.

My sister and her family were visiting when I made these and they got gobbled up very quickly.  I had to set aside one for CA to make sure he got one!  He loved them too. 

Hands down, I think these are the best banana muffins I've ever made... and they're pretty too!



Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment