Thursday, September 12, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 46: TKOs

I've made a bunch of things with Oreos... biscotti, rice krispie treats, cupcakes... but I've never actually made homemade Oreo cookies.

Apparently, TKO stands for Thomas Keller Oreo - which is not disclosed in the cookbook, I found out online.  That was after I thought for about ten seconds that it stood for Technical Knock Out.  But that could fit too.


Unfortunately, I had a little issue with the filling in these cookies.

The filling is made from white chocolate, butter and heavy cream.  The chocolate and butter is melted, then combined with the cream and chilled in the refrigerator "for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day, until completely chilled."

I ignored that and put it in the freezer for 2 hours.  I assure you it was completely chilled.  However, it was also completely runny.

CA says it was because I was impatient and didn't let it sit long enough.  I disagree.  I chilled it until it was cold which is what I was supposed to do.  So there.

I don't know what went wrong - either I measured something wrong, or the recipe is wrong or CA is right.  I really hope he's not right.

I went into recovery mode and started adding powdered sugar to the filling... a lot of powdered sugar... until the mixture thickened up.  It was still a little soft, but I figured it would end up OK.

The cookie part of this cookie sandwich was seriously amazing!

It's made from flour, A LOT of cocoa powder, baking soda, butter, salt and sugar.  The dough is chilled, rolled out and cut into circles.  I chose to make a bunch of little, Oreo sized Oreos instead of eight 3 inch cookies as the cookbook instructed.

Because of the large amount of cocoa powder and the relatively smaller amount of sugar in these cookies, they're really dark chocolatey and just plain awesome.  For these reasons, they're the perfect accompaniment to filling but I will admit that I ate quite a few without the filling and loved them!
When I sandwiched these, the filling was still a little bit too soft.  They smooshed more than I would have liked.  However, after sitting overnight the filling dried out enough that it was stiff enough to eat without it falling out one side.

I made these when my sweet nephews came to visit.  What kid doesn't like Oreo cookies, right?  These were no exception, they loved them!  I was a little worried because they aren't as sweet as packaged Oreos but they were happy regardless.


Oh look... another picture of the finished cookies.  Thank goodness I remembered to take pictures this time!


Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment