Friday, June 21, 2013

Oreo Biscotti

Remember when I told you that you could mix just about anything into that biscotti recipe I gave you?  Well, it's true.

It's also true that I am still trying to get these darn Oreo Cookies out of my house... and I still haven't succeeded.  The worst part is that I now have half of an OPEN package of Oreo Cookies in my house.  Are you tired of me baking with Oreos yet?  I am.  Oreo Cupcakes, Oreo Frosting, Oreo Rice Krispie Treats... they're all good, but I'm bored.  Maybe CA will just have to take one for the team and eat these cookies straight.

Anyway, back to the biscotti... I promised you that you could do whatever you want with that base recipe and I have proven myself right.  I was inspired by this recipe by The Crafty Hostess, but I wanted to test my assertion that my biscotti recipe was incredibly versatile (oh yeah, did I forget to mention that sometimes I tell you all things that I think are true but might not be?  This just got awkward.)


My biggest worry in making this biscotti was that it would be too sweet.  I mean, it's a cookie mixed into a cookie.  Surprisingly, it wasn't.  Yes, it's sweet but not so sweet that you wouldn't want to dunk it in your coffee and convince yourself OK to eat cookies for breakfast. Personally, I just want to dunk it in a big, cold glass of milk.



Oreo Biscotti
Adapted from Williams Sonoma

Ingredients

1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
18 Oreo Cookies, coarsely chopped (1/2 a package)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Cream butter and sugar together until it is fluffy and pale yellow.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating on low speed until incorporated.  Add the vanilla and mix until combined.

Add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing until just combined.  Add all the chopped Oreo Cookies and mix until just combined.

Divide the dough in half (it will be quite soft and sticky so use flour on your hands as necessary) and form each half into a log on your cookie sheet.  Each log should be approximately 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.

Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and lightly golden.  Remove the pan from the oven and let the logs cool for 10 minutes.  Transfer each log to a cutting board and use a serrated knife to cut the logs on the diagonal into 3/4 inch slices.  Carefully transfer each slice back to the cookie sheet and lay them on their sides.  Return the cookie sheet to the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.


Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment