Friday, June 14, 2013

Pretzel, Peanut Butter & Marshmallow Brownies

These brownies really should have tasted better.  In my head they were amazing.  Seriously, amazing.  I mean, how could brownies, pretzels, peanut butter and marshmallows not be good?


Don't get me wrong... these were not bad.  I ate them.  CA ate them.  I took them to work.  My co-workers ate them.  CA took them to work.  His co-workers ate them.  We both got compliments, but I still didn't love them.  I wanted them to be different...

I blame it on the brownie recipe.  Scratch that, I blame it on my laziness.  Don't pretend like you're shocked.  Sometimes I'm lazy.

The whole idea concept of these brownies came together because I'm still trying to get rid of leftover ingredients.  The first thing I had leftover was peanut butter marshmallow mousse that I used to fill a bunch of strawberry cupcakes.  I also had a bunch of pretzels from making Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls.  There was also a can of cocktail peanuts hanging around but I can't remember why.

I'm not sure how brownies popped in my head while staring at all this random stuff, but it did.  I started scanning through all my brownie recipes to see what I could make without going to the grocery store (because going to the grocery store would entirely defeat the purpose of having LESS stuff in my pantry).   Luckily, a long time ago, my sister gave me a cookbook called Brownies to Die For which has a tons of different brownie recipes in it.  I really love this cookbook.  There are so many different recipes in it that I can make brownies at any given moment.  There are brownies that use unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate, bitter chocolate, even no chocolate at all (blondies... one of my absolute favs!) There are brownies with eggs and without eggs, with milk and without milk.  It's basically a magical cookbook that means I can have brownies without going to the grocery store.  So I flipped and flipped and flipped until I found a recipe that did not require me to get in my car.  BONUS - the recipe not only didn't require shopping, it also had buttermilk in it which I happened to have in my fridge that was about to expire.   I thought I'd won the lazy, don't leave my house lottery.


I feel like I'm being a mean girl about these brownies and they don't deserve it.  In fact, if you like cake brownies, you will love these.  I, however, was envisioning fudgey brownies and that's not what I got.  They just didn't match the picture in my head.

Even though I'm talking smack about these guys, I still want to give you the recipe.  Why?  Because you might love them.  You might think that they're totally amazing... like PB Pretzel cake.  Huh.... maybe if I'd called these PB Pretzel Cake I wouldn't be so disappointed.

For all you cake brownies fans, you should definitely make these.  For you fudgey fans (like me) stay tuned.  I'm not giving up on this concept and am going to take another run at it.  Maybe tomorrow.




Pretzel, Peanut Butter & Marshmallow Brownies aka PB Pretzel Cake
Brownie based adapted from Brownies to Die For

Ingredients
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Boiling Water
2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Buttermilk

2 Eggs, slightly beaten

3 T Butter, softened
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 cup Marshmallow Fluff

3 cups coarsely crushed Pretzels
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Salted Peanuts

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the 1/2 cup of butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Pour the boiling water over the butter, let it sit for 1 minute, then stir on low speed until the butter is melted.  Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda.  Mix on low speed until combined.  Add the buttermilk and eggs and mix on low speed until combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the 3T butter, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff until smooth and incorporated.

Sprinkle the crushed pretzels in the bottom of the prepared baking pan.  Pour the brownie batter on top.  Dollop the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie batter and swirl with a knife.  Sprinkle the top with the chopped peanuts.

Bake for 45 minutes until the peanut butter swirls are golden brown and the brownies are set.  Cool completely before cutting.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment