Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chocolate Frosting Cups

I'm in "use this crap up" mode.  I have a problem with judging how much food to buy.  I am totally paranoid of running out of something and having to go back to the store mid-baking.  I HATE going back to the store.  So, to avoid that possibility I usually buy way too much stuff.

To that end, I somehow ended up with excessive amounts of Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting (along with too much champagne buttercream, peanut butter mousse, frozen strawberries, pretzels, marshmallow fluff, marshmallows, Oreos, Rice Krispies, etc., etc., etc.).

Therefore, we'll be spending the next few days talking about how I got rid of it all.  The frosting was the first to go because having leftover frosting in your fridge is a terrible idea.  I somehow find myself standing in front of the fridge with a spoon not remembering how I got there or why I actually opened the door in the first place.


There was no way I was making more cake to put the leftover frosting on.  I'm totally caked out (I know, I'm as shocked as you are but it really is possible).  Therefore, I decided to make little cups to hold the frosting... kind of like edible shot glasses.




















This is essentially chocolate pie crust.  I intentionally make it more bitter chocolatey than sweet chocolatey.  There's enough sugar in the frosting to put a horse in a coma so extra sweetness was not required in what is really just a vehicle for eating frosting.


At least this is a little bit more acceptable standing in a kitchen by the light of an open refrigerator with only a spoon.


Honestly, you could put all sorts of things in these cups... other frosting flavors (vanilla, cream cheese, chocolate), pudding, whipped cream.  Just think of them as a chocolate spoon.

Chocolate Frosting Cups

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Butter, cold and cut into cubes
3T - 4T Ice Water

Instructions 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.  Add the butter and mix on low speed until crumbly.  Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together.

Drop 1 tablespoon of batter into each of the prepared muffin cups.  Press the batter into the cup and up the sides to create a well in the center.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until set.  Let the cups cool completely and fill with desired filling.


Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment