Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oreo Rice Krispie Treats

We're still using up leftovers around here and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to do with leftover marshmallows, Rice Krispies and Oreos.

For some reason, I decided that a recipe which required one box of Oreos meant that I should buy three boxes of Oreos.  I don't know what's wrong with me. 

I'm sure we all know what happens when there are Oreos lingering around in the pantry.  Yep, this little girl has the me pegged.

At least I found a way to get rid of one box.  There's still one left and so far I've avoided stuffing them in my face.  (I'm pretty sure that's only because that box is sealed, if it were open all bets are off).



Nothing earth shattering is happening here.  You make Rice Krispie treats and stir in chopped up Oreo cookies.  CA and I both took some of these to work and, to my amazement, people loved these things as much, if not more, than some of the super complicated things I've made.  I'm not sure if it's because people love marshmallow treats or because they love Oreos.   Both are pretty nostalgic so I can see the appeal.

I am a firm believer that marshmallow treats should be extra marshmallowey.  I always add more marshmallows than the original recipe calls for because I HATE dry, crunchy Rice Krispie treats.  They're the worst... definitely not worth the calories.  (I just got off the phone with my sister and she feels the same way, maybe it's hereditary).  These were perfectly soft... I actually think the cream filling in the cookies helped them along a little bit in that department.  The hot marshmallow melts it a little bit when it all gets mixed together.... mmmmmm.

It's actually a miracle that these treats came out exactly as soft as I wanted them to because I literally took a box of Oreo cookies, whatever leftover marshmallows and Rice Krispies I had and mixed it together.  I only measured the ingredients so I could tell you guys how much I put in there.  Sometimes things are just meant to be.

Can we talk for a second about how fun it is that when you microwave marshmallows they get all puffed up?  Am I the only one who stares in the window of the microwave to watch it?  Oh, I am....awkward.  This may be the #1 reason that I like to microwave the marshmallows when I make Rice Krispie treats instead of heating them on the stove.  The #2, 3 and 4 reasons are that it's easier, faster and has less of a chance of burning.

Oreo Rice Krispie Treats

Ingredients
6 cups mini Marshmallows
4 T Butter
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
5 cups Oreo Cookies, chopped (about 1 package)

Instructions
Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Put the marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 90 seconds until the marshmallows have puffed up and begin to melt.  Stir in the cereal and chopped cookies.  Dump the mixture into the prepared pan and press down evenly.  Allow the treats to cool completely.  Turn the treats onto a cutting board and slice into squares.


I might start experimenting with other mix ins for Krispie Treats.... maybe some salty stuff like pretzels and potato chips.  What do you think?

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment