Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Spinach, Mushroom & Sausage Quiche

Having a bunch of people in your house means having a lot of food around.  It also means that you better be prepared because if you're not, you'll be running to the store at 6:00 AM trying to find something for people to eat for breakfast.  I don't do that.

A week before my guests showed up I made these quiches to have around for breakfast.  The best thing about quiche is that you can bake it ahead of time, freeze it and heat it up whenever you want which is really convenient when you've got a house full of people.


I didn't used to eat quiche.  In fact, my family didn't eat a lot of eggs when I was growing up, which is weird because we all eat eggs now.  Eggs used to gross me out because I'd only really seen them in large quantities on buffet lines where they either look too wet or dry and grey.  Both are bad.  Don't get me started on powdered eggs.  Come to think of it I didn't used to eat mushrooms either so this dish is quite an evolution for me.  I'm very evolved.

Spinach, mushroom & sausage is my favorite quiche combination and this one is pretty classic.  I used chicken breakfast sausage (but pork or turkey breakfast sausage would work too), frozen spinach and baby bella mushrooms.  I also included a nice helping of Gruyere cheese which doesn't hurt.

This really is a great stand-by.  The recipe makes three quiches so you can eat one and freeze the rest.  Your breakfast guests will think you got up super early just for them when you pull a beautifully browned pie out of the oven.  I won't tell them you just rolled out of bed.



Spinach, Mushroom & Sausage Quiche
Makes 3 Quiche (18 slices)

Ingredients
3 Pie Crusts, baked (store bought will work.  I used this crust... you can also use this one for a gluten free version)
1 lb Breakfast Sausage (pork, chicken or turkey)
16 oz Frozen Spinach, thawed and the water squeezed out
8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms 
4 oz. Gruyere Cheese, shredded 
14 Eggs
1 cup Heavy Cream
3/4 cup Milk
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Pepper

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a skillet, brown the breakfast sausage and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.  In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.  

In a medium bowl, combined the eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper and and whisk to thoroughly combine (I mixed mine up with my immersion blender which works perfectly if you have one).

Place 1/3 of the sausage in each pie crust followed by 1/3 of the spinach, cooked mushrooms and shredded cheese.  Pour 1/3 of the egg mixture into each pie crust

Bake the quiches until set in the middle, about 45 minutes. 

You can serve these immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to a month.  If freezing, wrap each quiche tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap.  Allow the quiche to defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
Julie


Linked up to Today's Creative Blog - take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment