Monday, September 9, 2013

Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

I obviously did something very wrong.  I don't know what I did, but it was very, very wrong.  I did, however, have the best of intentions.

Generally, breakfast food is pretty much a wheat fest.  Muffins, scones, breads, cereal... most of it has wheat in it.  Some of my recent house guests are off the wheat so I wanted them to have something tasty to eat for breakfast, other than just eggs.  Good intentions.

This bread is made entirely from almond flour, which I really love using.  It has great flavor that I think is more interesting that regular or gluten free flours.  Unfortunately, what I got was a soggy mess.


I was pretty embarrassed and, if I hadn't already disclosed that I was making lemon poppy seed bread for them, I would have just thrown it away and made no mention of its existence.  My guests were gracious and told me it was good and ate the whole thing, but they were just being nice.  This bread was a disaster.


The original recipe for this bread on Kitchen Belleicious looked so good!  You can hop over there and see what it should look like... which is like fluffy breakfast bread.  Mine was dense and wet.  There are a few reasons I've come up with that this happened.

1.  I frozen the batter.  Because there was a lot going on, I made all the batter and dough for all my baked goods the weekend before everyone arrived so I could just bake it all off.  Very efficient but it may have ruined this.
2.  I didn't put the glaze on it that the original recipe called for.  I don't know why not putting glaze on something would make it more soggy, but it's the only other change I can think of.
3.  Except that I didn't put in as many poppy seeds.  The recipe called for 8 tablespoons of poppy seeds which is a lot of poppy seeds - I didn't have that many so only put in 4 tablespoons... it was still really poppy seedy.
4.  I screwed up something else...


I will admit that the flavor of this is really good, it's just the wet texture I had a problem with.  I really want to try again and see if it comes out better because the pictures from the original post look so good!

Maybe you guys can try it and let me know.  That sounds easier.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment