Thursday, September 5, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 45: Blueberry Muffins

CA's favorite muffin is a blueberry muffin.  My favorite is pumpkin but I do enjoy the blueberry as well... and banana, I love banana.  However, these may be the most interesting blueberry muffins I've ever made.


They're unique for 2 reasons.

1.  There is molasses in the batter which gives it a darker hue and a warmer, richer flavor.

2.  They have wild blueberries in them instead of regular blueberries.  Wild blueberries are tiny, the size of currants.  I'm not surprised that Thomas Keller would use wild blueberries (he says they have less water content so don't make the batter runny) but what did surprise me was that he uses frozen berries. Maybe it's because you can't really find fresh wild blueberries in regular stores but that hasn't stopped him from using other obscure ingredients that I can't even pronounce.


I had a bunch of taste testers for these muffins and everyone thought they were good, but no one was blown away.

It could have been that there were so many other things to eat and distract them from the goodness of the blueberry muffin.

Personally, I didn't love the addition of the molasses.  I feel like the whole idea behind a blueberry muffin is that it should be light.  I was, however, a big fan of the wild blueberries.  Because they're smaller they don't burst open and give the muffin soggy spots.  I think that's part of my issues with muffins with fruit chunks in them and why I like pumpkin and banana muffins better - the fruit/vegetable is all mashed up so it avoids the soggy possibilities all together.  I also really liked the almond streusel topping - all muffins should come with streusel topping.

PS - I neglected to take any pictures of these muffins once they came out of the tins.  Sorry, but this was part of the great baking adventure for all my house guests and I temporarily lost my blogging mind.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment