Thursday, August 8, 2013

Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Popcorn Bars

CA had a bake sale at work and he signed me up to contribute.  I don't know what the sale was for, I didn't ask any questions.  I'll take any opportunity to bake something.  I would have preferred if the bake sale didn't fall during the worst work week ever but I can't control timing.  Therefore, you get pictures that are horribly lit because I was baking at 10:00 pm.  It couldn't be helped.



I like these bars in theory.

The base is a chocolate chip cookie.

The 2nd layer is marshmallows.

The 3rd layer is peanut butter popcorn.

The 4th and final layer is chocolate drizzle.

These should be awesome.

They're OK.

I have no issues with the base layer.  The chocolate chip cookie recipe is standard... butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder, chocolate chips...  the usual.


On top of the cookie goes marshmallows which get put in the oven until puffed and melty, but not brown.  I don't know why I couldn't brown them but the instructions were pretty clear and, miraculously, I followed them.  At this point, I still have no issues with this recipe.

What I have issues with is the part of the bar that I thought I would like the most, the peanut butter popcorn.  That should be super delicious, right?

You melt butter, corn syrup and peanut butter together and mix it with popped popcorn.  The result is chewy.  I expected something like caramel corn, just peanut buttery, where the popcorn would still be crunchy but this results in popcorn that was wet and chewy.  I really wanted it to be better.

On top of the popcorn goes melted chocolate.  I have no issues with melted chocolate.

All of that cools for a while until it's set up enough to cut it into bars.


It's too bad... this recipe has promise but I can't get over chewy popcorn.  It reminds me of pre-made sandwiches and soggy bread which activates my gag reflex.

I just reconfirmed with CA his opinion of these bars.  He says they're tasty.  He doesn't know what else to say.

Me either.

Enjoy!
Julie

PS - here's the recipe just in case.



No comments:

Post a Comment