Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Peppermint Kiss Cookies

I love that this is the time of year when I can bake treats non-stop and no once will judge me because the holidays are made for cookies and bars and candy and pie and fruitcake everything sugary and delicious.  Not that I haven't done exactly the same thing since I stated this blog in February, now I just have more justification.


I made these cookies for the first time last year and they're just so stinkin' adorable and Delicious that I couldn't resist making them again.  These are the peanut butter blossoms of Winter just like Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookies are the peanut butter blossoms of Fall.  There's something about winter that makes minty treats irresistible.  Typically, I find mint flavors to be more summery (mojitos anyone?), but it must be the association with candy canes which makes me want to put mint chips in brownies and peppermint extract in my hot chocolate and Candy Cane kisses on top of sugar cookies.

Somehow, instead of red sugar, I purchased cinnamon flavored red sugar and didn't notice until I took the picture above.  I did NOT actually use it because cinnamon and mint together sounds disgusting.  Instead I used green and multicolored nonpareils which, luckily, I had on hand and turned out way cuter than regular colored sugar.  I also tried to make my own colored sugar by combining sugar and food coloring but I wasn't entirely pleased with it. The only coarse sugar I had in the house was raw sugar which is brown - that combined with the red food coloring made wine colored sugar which didn't match the red in the candy cane kisses so I only used it on a few of the cookies.  My matching obsessed sister would be proud.

Now I just have to figure out what one does with cinnamon flavored red sugar since it's clogging up my cupboard.


These cookies are essentially sugar cookies that get rolled in sprinkles and topped with a peppermint kiss.  They may not be super complicated but oh my, are they pretty!

They're also quite delicious... the cookie stays soft but you get a little bit of crunch from the sprinkles and great mint flavor from the kiss.
They may also stain your teeth whatever color the sprinkles are but you just have to ignore that and wash it down with some hot chocolate.  Hot chocolate removes tooth stains.

Do you like my cake stand?  I'm kind of obsessed with it right now because I got a couple of Cake Plate Clings to use with it.  They're super adorable and I want to buy one for every single season... just in case you're looking for a gift to give me.  It is the gift giving season.

Peppermint Kiss Cookies
Adapted from Baked Perfection

Ingredients
1 bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
2 tablespoons Milk
Holiday Sprinkles (I like nonpareils)



Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the wrappers from approx. 30 kisses.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and egg and mix on low speed until just combined.  Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternatively with milk to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sprinkles and place on a cookie sheet.
Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies is set. Remove from oven and press a kiss into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely.
Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment