Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookies

I never said that when pumpkin week was over that all pumpkin was banished from my house. That would just make me sad.  Sure, Captain America needed a pumpkin break.  I might have needed a mini break, but it couldn't have lasted too long.  Especially when I finally spotted these little kisses. 


I looked for Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses a few weeks ago because I wanted to make a play on Peanut Butter Blossoms (you know the delightful peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kiss on top?  They're classics and oh so delicious!)  However, I couldn't find them anywhere... except that they were at Giant where I didn't look because I thought they only sold them at Target.  I know that's where they sell all the super weird versions of Oreo Cookies (have you seen these?  They have a candy corn version which sounds really gross.  Double Stuff and a Golden Oreo is as adventurous as I am willing to get.) so I deduced that they also exclusively sell the odd Hershey Kisses.  I was wrong.

The kisses taste very similar to a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte so if you like that you'll like this.  I know people who are obsessed with the PSL but I find it to be too spicy and not pumpkiny enough.  My real favorite is the peppermint mocha which I'm currently enjoying every chance I get.

My initial thought when buying these kisses was to put them atop a sugar cookie.  However, upon further evaluation I decided they belonged on pumpkin snickerdoodles which we have already established are one of the best cookies of all time.  There really is no reason to show restraint in the pumpkin department when it comes to cookies so a pumpkin cookie with a pumpkin kiss is totally perfect.


Truthfully, I don't really like the kisses by themselves - there's too much spice in them for me to like them au natural.  However, put those buddies on top of a sweet sugary pumpkin pillow and you've got yourself a delicious Fall treat.  One of my coworkers asked me what I put inside the kiss... as if I made the kiss.  It was a sweet comment that I secretly enjoyed because I have them all totally fooled that I'm talented enough to make my own Hershey kisses.

I bet the kisses are on clearance now... you should go get them before they're yanked from the shelves and you're deprived of this yummy cookie until Halloween 2014.


Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookies
Adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients
3 3/4 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 cup Butter, at room temperature
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

For the coating:
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
Dash of Allspice


1 bag Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses

Instructions
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk to blend and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the pumpkin puree.  Beat in the egg and vanilla on low speed until just incorporated.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.  Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend.  Scoop the dough (about 2 1/2 tablespoons) and roll into a ball.  Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough to fill the sheets, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart. 

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through.  Right when you take the cookies out of the oven, press 1 kiss onto the top of each cookie.  Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment