Monday, March 17, 2014

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 92: Pullman Loaf

I did not have high hopes for this bread.  I considered it another obstacle in the way of finishing this cookbook. I figured it would be a giant disaster because I do not have a Pullman Loaf Pan which is a long, narrow pan with a lid that forces the bread to bake into a perfect rectangular block.  This was not a piece of equipment I ever envisioned myself using again so I skipped it and used a regular loaf pan.

The whole reason it's called a Pullamn Loaf is fairly interesting but not interesting enough for me to repeat it here for you.  It's something about trains, you can Google it.



The ingredients for this bread are a little different in that it includes cream cheese.  I don't know what this does for the bread except that it seems a little bit closer to Brioche dough than many of the other breads in this book because of the dairy and the addition of some eggs.
I'm happy to report that my new mixer doesn't attempt to burst into flames while kneading bread dough which is a good thing.  My old mixer got extremely hot during this process because you had to leave it on for 30 minutes but my new orange behemoth does not.
I was pretty impressed with how much the dough rose and with how smooth it was when it baked.  I was convinced that without a lid on this pan and the vague instructions on how big the pan should be that it would overflow the pan and spew all over my oven.


This bread is the closest thing to sandwich bread I've made in this book.  It's definitely more dense than Wonderbread but that means it doesn't completely char when I put it in the toaster or disintegrate when I soak it in eggs and milk to make French Toast.


This is definitely one of the better breads in this cookbook and thank goodness there are only 3 more left!!

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment