Sunday, March 2, 2014

Granola Clusters

The last time I made Granola it was good but it didn't stick together like I feel like Granola should.  I don't really use Granola in a way that is conducive to small bits.  I want clusters that I can pick up with my hand and stuff in my face.  So, when I stumbled upon this recipe from Cookies and Cups which claims to be "snacking granola clusters" I was excited to try it.

This time I did not make any modifications to the sugar levels in the granola.  I know that this is key to making it stick together so I put in the full amount of honey and brown sugar that the recipe called for.  The recipe also contains an egg white which I found interesting but the original poster said it contributed to stick-togetherness so I definitely kept that in there.

The one change I did make was to substitute Rice Chex for the Corn Flakes so that the recipe would be Gluten Free.  Also, I like Rice Chex and knew I'd eat the rest of them while half a box of corn flakes would simply create more stuff for me to get rid of.

Oh yeah, and I left out the chocolate chips because this isn't dessert.

And I left out the raisins because they are disgusting.

And I added almonds.



All the ingredients get mixed up together and baked.

The big difference in this granola is the baking process.  You do NOT stir the granola at any point once it starts baking - that's why it stays in clumps.

The original instructions called for baking the granola for 30 minutes and then turning the oven off and letting it cool in the oven.  I did that and I wasn't happy with the level of browning I got.  The bottom was fine but the top was still very blonde.   So, I turned the broiler on for a few minutes to get the heat on the top of the granola going and then turned it off and let it cool again.  It worked perfectly!
 

I absolutely love how this stuff came out.  My favorite part is that it's a little bit salty from the salted cashews.  I never thought to put cashews in granola before but I absolutely adore them!  The final product stayed in big chunks that I could hold in my hand and snack on.  Perfect.

I made this gluten free for my friend, but I would not change a single thing about this in the future even if I was serving a pack of gluten lovers (like myself).


Granola Clusters
Adapted from Cookies and Cups


Ingredients
5 cups Oatmeal
1/2 cup Butter, melted
1/2 cup + 2 T Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Honey
2 cups Coconut (flaked or dessicated)
4 cups Rice Chex, crushed
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Salted Cashews (peanuts would be great too - just make sure they're salted)
1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
1 Egg White, lightly beaten

Instructions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with sides with a silpat or parchment paper.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until evenly coated with butter and honey. 

Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.   Bake for 30 minutes without stirring.  Turn the broiler on and broil until the top barely starts to turn golden brown (no more than 5 minutes).  Turn the oven off.  Peek at it after 5 minutes, if the top if getting more too brown, open the oven door for a  couple of minutes.  Then close the oven door and  allow the granola to stay in the oven until it is completely cooled.

Break into pieces.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment