Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 95: Dutch Crunch Baguettes

There are two more bread recipes after this one.  The proportion of bread recipes to other types of recipes in this cookbook is too high.  It feels like 2:1 - I needed 1:1.


At least this bread is fairly interesting.  The base of the bread is a standard dough but it gets topped with a mixture that is made up primarily of rice flour.  It has other stuff in it that makes it into a thin batter but I have no recollection of what that actually was. (You're all in for some really informative posts as we finish this cookbook where I can't remember what the heck I did - thank God for the pictures I take of all the ingredients or I'd hardly know what was in these baked goods.)

I had zero confidence that the batter on top would actually stay there when I baked it.  I pictured it running down the sides of the dough and depositing itself in the bottom of my oven.  Luckily, I was wrong and it stayed put.

The rice flour batter baked into a crunchy topping that added some really great texture to this bread.  It made it a huge difference in the bread.  The dough itself was a little bit dense for me, but I loved the crunchy topping.



I have a feeling I'll be taking a break from bread baking for a while.  It's just not my favorite thing to make and I don't think it ever turns out that great.  The Bouchon Bakery is famous for its bread, so I don't think it's the recipes, I think it's me.  Maybe I'm just not a bread baker.  I have much better success with things that are full of sugar.  Darn.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment