Monday, April 21, 2014

Spiced Pumpkin Bread

We just dodged a bullet here.  Until three minutes ago, I had no idea where I got the recipe for this pumpkin bread.  It is packed up with all my recipes and cookbooks on a boat in the Pacific Ocean.  I didn't think about setting it aside before we moved and didn't remember that I didn't have it until I sat down today to write.  I had a few other things on my mind.



I could have just skipped telling you about it, even if it is my go-to pumpkin bread recipe but I had already edited and uploaded all the photos, scheduled this post to show up on the blog today and set up a dozen other posts to show up in the coming weeks (that I still need to write).  Deleting this post would have meant that I would have had to go into all the future posts and edit the dates on them which seemed like a lot of work.
Luckily the Internet is freaking amazing and I was able to locate the recipe given what I know about the recipe websites I frequent and the photo I had of the ingredients.  Score!

I made this recipe to get rid of the final can of pumpkin puree I had in my pantry.  I got a little aggressive with the pumpkin purchasing in the lead up to pumpkin week last Fall and needed to use it up.  The recipe is pretty straight forward... oil and sugar are mixed together, add eggs and pumpkin, add flour, spices, salt  and baking powder, throw in some nuts or pumpkin seeds and bake it up.

This recipe makes two loaves which is pretty awesome.  You can eat one which will happen very quickly and give one away.  Or, if you're being selfish, stick the second one in the freezer and eat it too.


I think this pumpkin bread is pretty perfect.  It is super moist, has a great warm spice component and is full of pumpkin flavor.  Exactly what you want in pumpkin bread.

Spiced Pumpkin Bread
from Epicurious

Ingredients
3 cups Sugar
1 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
3 Eggs
1 16oz. can Pumpkin Puree
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Ground Cloves (you can also replace the cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg with 3 tsp Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Pumpkin Seeds, coarsely chopped Walnuts or Pecans (optional)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray with non-stick spray and flour two loan pans.

In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar together.  Mix in eggs and pumpkin puree.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder.

Stir the flour mixture into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in seeds or nuts, if desired.

Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until toothpick  inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment