Sunday, April 27, 2014

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 98: Cheese Puffs

This recipe marks the end of the puffy things chapter.  If I had my cookbook, I could figure out what the chapter is really called, but whatever it is, it is coming to a close on a savory note.

CA was really excited about this recipe.  I think I've been overloading him on sweets and the poor man needed some relief from his sugar coma.  Plus, my superhero is partial to anything that includes cheese.
The dough for the cheese puffs is made in the same way it made for the cream puffs and eclairs - butter is melted with water, cooked with flour and whipped with eggs.  Then comes the grated Gruyere cheese which makes these into cheese puffs.  There is also a good amount of pepper in batter which adds to the savory notes.
The dough gets piped onto a sheet pan and baked until they magically puff in the oven.  Every time I made Pate a Choux (the fancy name for the puffy dough) I'm surprised that it actually puffs when it's baked.


These are pretty darn good and completely addicting.  I made them as an appetizer for CA and I one night and had to hide them from myself to ensure I could actually eat dinner.


Looking back at the recipes in this chapter, I have a really hard time choosing a favorite - they're all pretty awesome.

- The Cream Puffs were super light and tasty
- The Eclairs - including the chocolate, coconut lime and dulce de leche versions were all fantastic.
- Paris-New York which was filled with peanut butter pastry cream was simply out of control.

This may have been the most consistently good chapter in the cookbook.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment