Monday, March 11, 2013

Boqueria

CA and I went out to dinner at Boqueria a few nights ago.  Boqueria is a new addition to the 2013 Washingtonian 100 Best Restaurants List and we were happy to get to knock another restaurant off the list.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of our food and drink this evening.  As I've said before, I get super embarrassed and don't like taking photos in nice restaurants.  Plus, I just like enjoying the experience and since CA and I hadn't had a real date night in a while, I wanted to be in the moment.

Tapas is one of my favorite food concepts.  I always have a hard time deciding what to order because I always want to get more than one thing and Tapas allows me to do that.  Here's what we ordered:

Tabla de Embutidos (Table Sausages)
This plate had three types of sausage on it, Serrano Ham, Salchichon and Chorizo.  All three were very tasty but the chorizo was definitely our favorite.  It was nice and spicy.  The plate was also served with grilled bread rubbed with tomato, garlic and olive oil.  I was pleasantly surprised how good this was!  The tomatoes were nice and fresh.

Pimientos de Pardon
Shishito peppers that looked like they were flash fried so the skins blister and sprinkled with sea salt.  I had this dish the first time I went to this restaurant without CA and it's the only thing I remember eating.  They were very good both times, just spicy enough.

Bombas de la Barceloneta
Beef and potato croquettes with salsa and garlic allioli.  These were good, but nothing spectacular.


Txipirones
Seared baby squid on a frisee salad with romesco vinaigrette, tomato confit and crispy scallions.  I've been seeing squid and octopus popping up on menus all over the place and we try it everywhere we do.  This version was good, the squid had a nice smoky flavor to it.  (Although, our favorite grilled Octopus is still at Osteria 1909 in Del Ray)

Pork Cheek Special
I'm not entirely sure what the name of this one was but it was braised pork cheek with kale, potatoes and candied orange peel.  While the combo of flavors sounds strange, it totally worked.  The pork cheek was rich, the kale was bitter, the potatoes were starchy and the orange peel was sweet.  When you ate them all together is was really well balanced.

We skipped dessert and enjoyed an after dinner drink and espresso, although the Churros with Hot Chocolate did sound really good.

My one comment about this place is that it is super loud!  Honestly, it didn't bother us, but I think if you were sitting with a group of friends you'd have a hard time hearing everyone.

One of the most entertaining parts of our meal was the couple sitting next to us.  They were in their 70's and were 100% what CA and I will be in 40 years.  They were stylishly dressed (CA even commented on her shoes which was odd because I've never heard him comment on anyone's shoes) and were just enjoying their meal together.  However, they definitely had their quirks.  She had a little flashlight she used to read her menu which I'm pretty sure I need to go buy right now.  The light was freaking BRIGHT and she almost blinded CA a few times.  They had a very lively discussion about whether or not he should put his used silverware on the table.  He was very much against it and she really wanted him to.  She thought if he put them on the table, they would bring him new silverware.  He didn't want new silverware and, regardless, he never puts his used silverware on the table and he isn't going to change so she should leave him alone.  He then proceeded to knock over his glass of red wine which splattered all the way over to our table.  I loved them!

All in all we enjoyed our meal and would definitely go back.  Maybe in the summer when we feel like enjoying a few pitchers of Sangria or in 40 years when we are still enjoying a few pitchers of Sangria..

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment