Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Road Food - Panzarotti

Hello There!

We've been out of town for a few days so there hasn't been much baking going on around here.  I'm working on catching up now (the Hot Cross Buns are in the oven as we speak) but for now I wanted to share with you the amazeballs road food we got in New Jersey yesterday.

Panzarotti!!!!


I've never heard of these before but they're basically deep fried calzones.  Yep, as if you thought dough stuffed with cheese couldn't get any better somebody deep fried it.

I found this place by googling "food along new jersey turnpike".  Google tells me everything.  Franco's Place in Haddonfield, NJ was located about where we wanted to stop for lunch and was just a few miles off the road so off we went on our little adventure. 

The place was tiny but, to me, that's the sign of a good, local spot.  When we pulled up the sheriff was leaving with his to-go bag, also a good sign.

I got the Franco with Capicola, Salami, Provolone and Oregano.  CA got the Classic Everything with Mushrooms, Pepperoni, Hot and Sweet Sausage and Anchovies.  That man loves anchovies and he never gets them because, ewwww.


Doesn't mine look yummy and gooey?  They were super delicious and just the treat we needed to finish up our road trip home (even if I did go into a food coma in the passenger seat and abandon CA to the drive alone).  If you're ever traveling along the Jersey Turnpike, I recommend taking a little side trip to Franco's Place.

It might be a few days before I get more baking and writing under my belt.
Hold tight.
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment