Saturday, March 2, 2013

Breakfast Burritos - in bulk

A few months ago, on the time suck that is known as Pinterest, I came across a post from some smart lady who made a bunch of breakfast burritos and stuck them in the freezer so her family could quickly grab one, microwave it and have a nice hearty breakfast.  I totally stole her idea.  This is the third batch of these I've made and CA is a big fan.  On a day he doesn't have time to eat breakfast at home, he'll grab one out of the freezer before leaving for work and microwave it when he gets there.  Wife prize, right here.

I switched out some of the ingredients from the original recipe to make them a little healthier....

Here is where I would normally post a photo of all ingredients for what I made..... Unfortunately, the photo I took is so highly inaccurate, it wouldn't do you any good.  I forgot to put the cheese in the photo and you can't have a burrito with no cheese.  I also made some serious quantity adjustments as I went along so that's inaccurate too.  Oh well, at least you get the recipe this time.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can cook it all in one pan.  In a large non-stick skillet, brown up the turkey sausage, then set it on paper towels to drain.  Add olive oil to the skillet and cook up the potatoes & onions.  Dump that out, add the eggs to the pan and scramble those.


I find assembly to be much easier when I have everything all laid out so I set up four bowls with all my burrito guts... sausage, potatoes, eggs & cheese.  Then, I lay out my tortillas and start building.
 Once they're all built, roll and bag.  Easy.


Full disclosure.....  this time I tried to make the burritos even healthier and use whole wheat, low carb tortillas.  It was a disaster.  Every one of them tore when I tried to roll them.  Some worse than others.  Below are the two worst culprits.  They got dumped into a bowl, microwaved and eaten with a spoon.  I was hungry anyway.  Moral of the story... just use regular flour tortillas.



Recipe... adapted from this blog

Ingredients:
12 large Flour Tortillas
1 lb Turkey Breakfast Sausage
1 T Olive Oil
5 small potatoes, 1/4" dice
1/2 onion, 1/4" dice
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning for potatoes (I used Penzey's Northwoods)
3 1/4 cups Egg Substitute (approx. 17 eggs)
6 oz Shredded Part Skim Cheddar Cheese

In a large, non-stick skillet, brown turkey sausage.  Set aside on paper towels to drain.
Heat olive oil in the same skillet, add potatoes and onions, season with salt, pepper and any other desired seasonings and cook until soft on the inside and browned and a bit crispy on the outside.  Set aside.
Add egg substitute to the same skillet, season with salt & pepper and scramble eggs until just set.  You don't want them to be too dry.

Lay the tortillas out on a flat work surface and layer on your ingredients;  to each tortilla add approximately 1/4 cup potatoes & onions, 3 T sausage, 1/4 cup eggs and 2 T cheese.

Roll each tortilla into a burrito shape and put in a plastic baggie (mine fit into sandwich baggies) and freeze.

To reheat, remove the burrito from the baggie, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave for  2 minutes or until it is warmed through and the cheese is melted.

Enjoy!
Julie

2 comments:

  1. I had a dream last night about your breakfast burritos. Lol.

    ReplyDelete