Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 27: Cinnamon Honey Scones

Definitely my favorite scone so far!


This recipe is takes the Plain Scone recipe, which was the first scone recipe in the cookbook and adds a cinnamon honey paste to it.  It's like a coffee cake scone and it was so very tasty.


The first thing you get to do it make the cinnamon honey cubes which are made up of flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter and honey which gets patted into a square and frozen.


Then you make the yummy scone base.  This is still my favorite base (made even better with the addition of cubes) because it's the lightest scone I've ever had.  That light texture is from the cake flour which replaces some of the usual all purpose flour.


Look at those little cinnamon honey cubes. They're so cute and I managed not to eat them all before mixing them into the scones.  Winning.

Warning, don't chop them into cubes on top of the plastic wrap you used to freeze the paste.  You will cut the plastic wrap and then have to pick little pieces of plastic off of each cube.  I can't tell you how I know this, I just do.

The cubes get mixed into the batter right at the end so they don't break up too much and you get a pretty little swirl pattern in the scone.

Because a cinnamon honey swirl isn't enough, these scones get topped with a honey butter glaze after they're baked.  Oh yeah! (Insert a visual of me doing an awkward, yummy food dance here.)

To make the honey butter glaze you first must clarify the butter.

The whole idea of clarifying butter is to get rid of the moisture and the milk solids which are in butter and to just leave the butterfat behind.

Why?  Well, it looks better when melted, it has a higher smoke point and apparently gets rid of all the lactose in there.

BTW - do you guys think I actually know all this stuff?  I don't, I look it up on the Internet.  You can find anything on the Internet.

So, you melt the butter, scoop the white stuff off the top and then you have clarified butter.  Done.


The clarified butter gets combined with honey to make a rich, sweet glaze for the scones.


I swore to myself I was only going to eat one of these, but that didn't happen.  I ate more than one and that's all I'm admitting to.  These are definitely, my favorite scones I've ever made.  You should google "bouchon cinnamon honey scones".  There are a bunch of other people who have posted the recipe so you can steal it from them.  Right now.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment