Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Meat Wrapped Meat

This is not pretty food.  This is not healthy food.  This is not complicated food.  This is good food.

There's nothing fancy about these little meaty nuggets and they are just about the simplest thing in the world to make but I will tell you right now, if you make them once and serve them to people, they will ask for them over and over and over.


A friend of mine in Tennessee introduced me to these years ago and I've been making them ever since.  I serve them at almost every party I host and there is never a single little doggie left in the dish.  Ever.

There has been much debate over what they should be called.  Death Dogs and Meaty Nuggets have been batted around a few times, but I prefer Meat Wrapped Meat... because that's what they are... meat, wrapped in meat.  They are smoky, meaty and sweet all at the same time and people can't get enough of them.  One of things I love about them is that because they are wrapped in bacon, I can pretend they're breakfast food and because they have smoked sausage in the middle I can pretend they're cocktail party food.  That's what I like to call versatility.


Meat Wrapped Meat
Servings: approximately 40 nuggets

Ingredients
1 package Little Smokies
1 1/2 packages Bacon (get the thinnest bacon you can find.  The thick cut stuff doesn't adhere to the smokies as much when they're cooked)
1 cup Brown Sugar

Place the brown sugar in a bowl.  Cut the bacon in half crosswise.  Take one little smokie and wrap it in a half a piece of bacon.  Then roll it in brown sugar.  Place it on a baking sheet, seam side down.  Repeat with the remaining smokies.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through.

You can wrap and roll the smokies up to 2 hours before you bake them, but any longer and all the juices run out.


See, I told you it was easy!  Now, if I were you I'd look at this recipe and think... hmmm, why would I want to use 1 1/2 packages of bacon?  Why wouldn't I just buy 2 packages of little smokies and 3 packages of bacon and make more meat wrapped meat?  Well... you'd be absolutely right, that's exactly what you should do!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment