Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 30: Apple Band Tart

This tart may be the prettiest thing I ever made before it was baked.  I wanted it to be just as pretty after I baked it, but it was less pretty... not ugly, but not a 10.  Maybe an 8.  Either way, it tasted yummy so I dealt with it.


We would absolutely be having a different conversation about this tart if I had to make every component of it from scratch today.  I would probably be a Grumpy Gus and tell you how it's not worth it and you should just go to McDonald's, get an apple pie and save yourself the effort.  You don't even have to get out of the car.  However, I had Pâte Sucreé in the freezer from when I made the Chocolate, Praline and Cocoa Nib Tart and Puff Pastry leftover from the Apple Turnovers so all I really had to make was Pastry Cream.  The freezer is my BFF today.




It's been a while since I made the first round of Pastry Cream and I'm still not convinced that I made it right. 

I tried my best to cook it for less time so that it would be more creamy and less chunky but I still ended up with some chunkstery cream.  All the photos of pastry cream in the cookbook look more like buttercream and mine looks more like brain matter. 

I made a big batch because I needed it for this recipe and for some upcoming eclairs...





I really think it has to do with the amount of time I'm cooking it, but I have not managed to take it off the heat in time for it not to be so thick.  This, of course, has not stopped me from eating it, or making the tart delicious.

I think I need to make it a few more times until I get it just right.  But only for the purposes of this blog, not because I want to eat it... absolutely not.  I am willing to make that sacrifice for you.  Aren't I a generous person?


The key to this tart is assembly.  The base of the tart is the Pâte Sucreé, which is basically a sugar cookie dough.  Then, you lay out two strips of puff pastry dough down the sides of the tart.  The center gets covered in pastry cream, which acts as the "glue" for the apple slices.  I did not eat glue in elementary school, but if it had tasted like pastry cream, I definitely would have.


Lining up the apple slices in the center of the tart was so much fun!  The pastry cream worked perfectly to hold the apple slices upright.  Isn't she pretty?  She is definitely a she.  Definitely.




















Before baking, Thomas instructed me to cut little slits along the side of the dough.  This was supposed to keep the Pâte Sucreé and the Puff Pastry from separating while they bake and, miraculously, it actually worked!!

As the tart bakes the puff pastry strips along the sides puff up and create a bit of a wall that encases the apple slices.

I really wanted it to puff up more than it did.  I wanted the puff pastry to be just as tall as the apple slices, like a fortress of puff pastry.  However, I got more of a puff pastry speed bump.  Maybe my expectations were too high. ;)

Regardless, the base and the walls browned nicely and retained their shape for the most part.




CA and I both really enjoyed this tart.  Unfortunately, the Northern Virginia allergies have attached poor CA and he can barely taste anything, but he's pretty sure this is good.  I have no such allergy issues and can assure you that it's beautiful inside and out.  The crust is firm, but flaky.  The pastry cream is creamy and sweet.  The apples are tart and not too mushy.  All together... yummy!


Pretty and tasty... it's the best combo.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment