Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Baked Parsnip Fries & Happy Food Day

Happy Thanksgiving!  

Thanksgiving is the best food day of the year when I get to make and eat as much food as I want and no one is allowed to judge me.  I'm super excited about it.  However, I won't be sharing Thanksgiving recipes with you for a while because that's not the way I blog.

I'm really impressed by the all these bloggers who post all their holiday recipes before the holiday takes place.  Then on the day of the holiday they are posting ideas on how to help you eat the leftovers... I haven't even written my leftover Halloween candy posts yet.  While it's super convenient for readers like me who read the post and think it looks amazing and add it to my holiday menu, it can't possibly be convenient for the blogger.  Do they make two entire holiday dinners?  That or they save all their holiday posts to put out there early the following year.  I don't think the latter is true - I think they eat holiday dinners twice which come to think of it is an amazing idea considering that means not having to narrow down the number of dishes I get to make to a reasonable amount... 2 kinds of stuffing and 3 pies for 8 people is totally reasonable.

Alas, I did not make an early turkey-day dinner so you're stuck hearing about regular food until sometime in early December. 


Today we're talking about Parsnip fries which are the most authentic baked faux fries I've ever made.

I have a hereditary love of french fries and all other things that come adorned with ketchup but I get very irritated by alternative baked "fry" recipes that disappoint me with their not to crispy exterior.  Didn't we just talk about this a few days ago???

I'm not going to try and convince you that you won't know you're not eating the crispy spud but as far as faking it goes, parsnips come the closest.


I've made these a few times but this time made a mix of parsnips, carrots and sweet potatoes because that's what was lying around.  I found myself skipping sweet potatoes (which typically at least partially fulfill my fry craving) and the carrots (which just taste like roasted carrots) for the parsnips.  There is enough starch in them that they hold up well to the roasting process without getting too mushy.   The fact that they are the same color as a potato doesn't hurt - we do taste with our eyes first.

If you're looking for an alternative to those other fake baked fries, try the parsnip.  Even if you don't feel like you're eating a fry, at least it still tastes good with ketchup.


Baked Parsnip Fries

Ingredients
4 large Parsnips
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Peel the parsnips and cut into sticks.  Spread the parsnips in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Use your hands to toss the squash to evenly distribute the olive oil and seasonings.

Bake for 45 minutes stirring them around twice during the baking process until they are browned on all sides.
.
Serve with ketchup, obviously.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment