Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pumpkin Scotchies

I did not expect to like these cookies as much as I did.  In preparation for Pumpkin Week, (apart from a few of my old favorite pumpkin recipes) I've been pinning pumpkin recipes like mad and then I read them aloud to CA and if he reacts favorably, I put it on the list.  When I told him that one of the options was pumpkin butterscotch oatmeal cookies, he said "I really like butterscotch" -- a fact I was completely unaware of until this moment.  I've made cookies with butterscotch in them before but I don't recall any sort of positive butterscotch reaction back then.  I swear that even after being married for 10 years he often says things I never would expect. 

All that said, I made these cookies because CA said he likes butterscotch.


This recipe is quite simple - beat the wet stuff together (butter, sugar, eggs, pumpkin vanilla) and then mix in the dry stuff (flour, baking soda, salt, spice), add the oatmeal and then the butterscotch chips.

I just realized that I'm not entirely sure what butterscotch actually is - even though I eat it and I like it.  Wikipedia tells me its basically soft toffee.  No wonder I like it.

The finished dough is pretty sticky so a cookie scoop is particularly helpful in getting these from the bowl to the pan.

I've never paired butterscotch and pumpkin together before.  I've always stuck with traditional pairings like cinnamon and nutmeg - but let me tell you that pumpkin and butterscotch are secret lovers.  They are really quite amazing together!


I have one small complaint with these cookies and that is that they get really soft after they sit around for an hour or so.  Eating them right out of the oven would be my preference but that's not always practical.  You could add more flour or oats but I suggest just baking them longer to try and dry them out (there's a lot of moisture in pumpkin).  Other than that, these are pretty freaking delicious cookies - straight out of the oven they may even rival the pumpkin snickerdoodles for favorite pumpkin cookie.. and that's saying something.


The recipe can be found on The Girl Who Ate Everything.  I recommend baking them for 13-15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment