Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pumpkin Biscuits

I couldn't have pumpkin chili without some type of bread product on the side.  My typical chili pairing is cornbread.  I love cornbread and I briefly thought about making pumpkin cornbread (I still have every intention of making it soon) but I wasn't craving cornbread - I was craving biscuits.  Because it's pumpkin week, regular biscuits wouldn't do, I had to make pumpkin biscuits.


I've actually made this recipe before and because the chili I made was a light recipe, I didn't want to blow the whole healthy dinner vibe by making full fat biscuits so I made these lighter pumpkin spice biscuits.

Pumpkin is actually a really good substitute for butter and oil in baked goods.  Most of the time you can substitute half of it with pumpkin or mashed bananas or applesauce to lighten up the recipe.  It won't be exactly the same as the original, but it will be close enough to satisfy your craving.

These biscuits have a mixture of white and whole wheat flour which adds great texture to the biscuit.  The moisture comes from a little butter, applesauce, pumpkin and buttermilk.  I love buttermilk in my biscuits!  There is a little brown sugar and honey in these biscuits - but they are not sweet.  They are still savory which means they're biscuits not scones.
Because of the relatively small amount of butter and the pumpkin and applesauce in the dough it is very soft and sticky so it's a bit hard to cut into circles.  I imagine these would turn out just as well if you dropped them on the cookie sheet instead of cutting them out.


These little guys are pretty darn tasty and an excellent accompaniment to the turkey pumpkin chili I ate them with.  If you've ever had a sweet potato biscuit, they're similar to that - they're got the texture of a biscuit with just a hint of sweetness from the pumpkin.

I'm pretty sure that I liked them better than CA did - I went back for seconds and thirds but he refrained and no matter how many times he says he likes something, if he really loves it he'll eat more than one.


The recipe for these biscuits can be found at The Realistic Nutritionist.  I followed it exactly.

The sweeter side of pumpkin returns tomorrow.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment