Sunday, November 24, 2013

Roasted Delicata Squash

The original recipe for this is titled Roasted Delicata Squash Fries.  I find that to be a stretch, but I'm pretty picky about my fries.  I appreciate that you can put ketchup on these if you want to (but, then again, you can put ketchup on almost anything) but I wouldn't go so far as to call them fries.
However, that does not mean that I'm not a huge fan of this recipe.  I love all squashes - yellow, butternut, acorn, spaghetti, etc. but I can't remember having delicata squash before.   You can find it in the bin at the grocery store with all the other squashes, it's long and stripey and hopefully has a sticker on it that tells you what it is.

I am officially renaming this the lazy man's squash AKA my new favorite squash because you don't have to peel it.  Being able to eat the skin is amazing because peeling squash is a beast.  I've broken three peelers trying to peel butternut squash which I believe is the ultimate test of a peeler.  The ultimate test of my sanity is that I bought the same peeler three times only to break each one on a butternut squash before deciding to get a different kind of peeler.  In my defense, before the peeler broke (3 times) it was the best peeler I ever owned.  This new one isn't nearly as good, but it hasn't broken yet.


This recipe is embarrassingly easy (cut up squash, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake) but I guess the whole point of this post is to tell you that if you're looking for a new squash pick up the delicata.

The flavor of these is really great - similar to butternut squash but not quite as sweet.  The skin softens up and the roasting brings out their natural sweetness.  I have a feeling this squash is going to make it into the regular rotation around here.


Roasted Delicata Squash
adapted from The Simple Veganista
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 Delicata Squash
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
Sprinkle of Cayenne (optional)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Cut each squash in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the seeds.  Cut into 1/2 inch slices.

Spread the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Use your hands to toss the squash to evenly distribute the olive oil and seasonings.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Flip over each slice and bake for another 10 minutes until both sides are nicely browned.


Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment