Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 78: Vegetable Demi-Baguette

I'm really trying to knock out all this bread and I'm really trying to do it with a smile on my face.  This recipe did not help my cause.


Basically this is a standard baguette recipe where you use vegetable broth instead of water in the dough. 

Can we take a moment to discuss why I can't type the word broth without typing the word brother and having to go back and correct it?  It's been happening a lot lately and is really starting to irk me.

I was supposed to make my vegetable brother but I was in no mood to do that and I already had a box of vegetable broth (again!!!).  I typically buy vegetable broth and substitute it for chicken broth (grrr!!!).  I don't actually think it's any better for you and I'm certainly no vegetarian, I just like the flavor. 

Anyway, I made this bread and expected it to have more flavor that the other breads I've made because of all the flavor in the broth.

It didn't happen.  It still tasted like water.  In fact, I think this bread tasted more like water than the bread with water in it. 

The one upside is that I proofed and baked the bread in these baguette pans that I have which meant that I didn't end up with misshapen bread from transferring it into the oven.  At least it was pretty.


I'm just glad that the next bread I plan to make are English Muffins who are far more interesting than the other breads I've been making lately.  Maybe I'll just go on a bread baking binge and finish this chapter so we don't have to talk about this anymore.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment