Wednesday, February 5, 2014

PB Thai Noodle Stir Fry

I started eating PB2 about a year ago.  I'm a big peanut butter fan and while it's not necessarily bad for you it is pretty high in calories.  PB2 has a lot less calories but it's definitely fake.  I'm not sure exactly what they do to the peanuts to turn them into a powdered, lower calorie form but this stuff satisfies my peanut butter cravings.  I might die a year earlier but I'm OK with that - if the amount of butter I consume doesn't kill me before everything else I've decided the significantly smaller amounts of this stuff that I eat won't do it. (PS - the FDA says it is fine.  I totally trust them.)


As I was taking inventory of my pantry to see what needed to be eaten, I discovered that I had 3 jars of PB2 in there.  Apparently, on a couple of occasions, I believed I was running out of the stuff and bought more.  Then I forgot and bought even more.  That put PB2 squarely on my list of things I need to get rid of. I'd seen a couple of recipes using PB2 in stir fries and figured I'd give it a go (I typically just eat it on toast and I've found one recipe that uses it to make this individual chocolate peanut butter mug cake which I'm totally obsessed with).


The sauce has loads of yummy stuff in it - ginger, garlic, vegetable broth, soy sauce, sriracha, agave, pepper and PB2.  All that just gets stirred together to make a spicy, peanut buttery, Asian flavored sauce. 


For the base of my stir fry I went with a few things that I had hanging around my house - chicken, bean sprouts and noodles.  To that I added a bunch of vegetables... bok choy, green onions and red peppers.  I make it a goal to put as many veggies as possible into my stir fry so that I can eat as much of it as I want and not feel guilty.


Once all the veggies are cooked up, in go the noodles and the sauce which cooks for a while to thicken up and coat all the veggies and noodles.


I'm a huge fan of this recipe and will definitely make this sauce again with any number of stir fry veggie combinations.  I usually have all this stuff in my pantry anyway.  I love the combination of the creamy peanut butter and the spicy flavors.  Good thing because I'll have to make this at least four more times to rid myself of all the stock in my pantry.

PB Thai Noodle Stir Fry
Adapted from Key Ingredient

Ingredients

2 T minced Ginger
2 cloves Garlic, mined
1/2 cup PB2 (if you don't have PB2, you can substitute regular peanut butter, just eliminate the 1/4 cup of water)
1/4 cup Water
1 cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
3 T Soy Sauce or Tamari

2 T Sriracha
1 T Agave
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 T Olive Oil
10 oz. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, thinly sliced
1 lb Baby Bok Choy, chopped
1 Red Pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced Green Onions
14 oz. can Bean Sprouts, drained
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
7 oz. Hokkien Stir Fry Noodles (or cooked spaghetti)

Instructions
In a small bowl combine the ginger, garlic, PB2, water, broth, soy sauce, sriracha, agave and pepper.  Set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.  Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes.  Add the bok choy, red pepper and green onions.  Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the sprouts and saute until hot, about 1 minute.  Add the noodles and sauce and cook until reduce and thick, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the cilantro and serve.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment