Thursday, February 6, 2014

Raspberry Nutella Mini Pies

There are so many things I enjoy about these little pies.
  • I love pie crust
  • I love Nutella
  • I love Nutella with berries
  • I love things in miniature
Pie + Nutella + Berries + Mini = Delicious


These are super easy to make.  Everything in them comes straight from a jar - but that doesn't make them any less delicious.  The original recipe calls for Nutella and Strawberry Jam and I've made these using that flavor of jam before which is delicious.  However, I had a jar of Raspberry Jam already open so I used that instead.  It was also delicious!

This recipe is even easier if you're a cheater and you use store bought pie crust.  I did not do that because I'm thoroughly obsessed with my favorite pie crust recipe and making pie crust is really easy.  I always have butter, flour, sugar and vodka in my house so there's never a need to make a trip to the grocery store.  You don't even technically need the vodka but if you don't have vodka in your house we probably shouldn't be friends.

The hardest part of this whole thing is making sure that you seal the edges of the pies really well.  If you don't, the jam will creep out while they are baking (as you can see from one of my mini pies above).  That defeats the whole purpose of Raspberry Nutella pies and you get Nutella pies... which is not a bad thing, just not what you intended.  I use egg wash, pinch the edges with my fingers and also crimp them with a fork to try and be sure that the edges stick together.  This is also why I used a circle cutter and fold it in half because that leaves one less side for me to worry about.

These are fabulous and easy and people love them.  Besides the fact that they have Nutella in them and they're pies and they're mini, I love that they are sprinkled with a little bit of course sugar before baking which makes them a little bit crunchy. 

I brought them to a baby shower and people gobbled them up.  They're great to serve for a "stand up" party because people can grab one and eat it with no utensils required.  A pie in one hand and a glass of wine in the other is all you really need.  Unless of you course you want a pie in each hand.  That works too.

Raspberry Nutella Mini Pies
Adapted from The Domestic Rebel
Makes approximately 20 pies

Ingredients
1 recipe single Pie Crust Dough (refrigerated is fine or you can use my favorite recipe)
1/4 cup Raspberry Jam (strawberry is great too!)
1/4 cup Nutella
1 Egg
Course Sugar, for sprinkling

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a silpat or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
 
Whisk the egg in a small bowl.
 
On a clean, flat work space, roll out the pie dough. Using a 4" circle cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Spoon 1/2 tsp of the Jam and 1/2 tsp of Nutella in the center of each of the circles.  (Collect the scraps and re-roll them to make more pies.)
 
Brush the edges of the circles with the egg.  Fold in half and pinch the edges to seal (you want to try and seal them really well so the filling doesn't seep out when they are baked). Use a small-tined fork to crimp the edges.

Place the sealed pies on the prepared baking sheet.  Brush the tops with the egg.  Sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden and the edges are lightly crispy.  Cool the pies on the baking sheet slightly before serving (they're also great a room temperature).
 
Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment