Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Baking Bouchon - Recipe 41: Bacon Cheddar Scones

It's just not possible that these scones could be anything but delicious.  I mean, bacon, cheese and chives inside a scone.  Done and done.


The logical first step in making bacon cheddar scones is to cook bacon.

I've officially stopped cooking bacon on the stove top.  Baking your bacon is easier and SOOOO much less messy.  No grease flying around that you have to clean up.  You don't even have to flip bacon when you bake it in the oven.  Plus the bacon stays flat and doesn't curl up on the ends which I find annoying.

To cook bacon in the oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Place the bacon on a baking rack set over a sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes depending on how crispy you like your bacon.

The baking rack is not required.  You can do this right on the baking sheet but I like having the grease drain away.  That way I can pretend like it's healthier.

Bake your bacon!!!

The scone making process is the same as the other scones in this book and every other scone I've ever made.

The dry ingredients get mixed with cold butter until it's nice and crumbly.

Heavy cream and creme fraiche are added and barely mixed together to form a dough.

Then the goodness arrives... crumbled bacon, shredded white cheddar and minced chives.

Seriously people.
The hardest part about these scones is that you have to wait to bake them.  The dough gets chilled, cut into rectangles and then frozen overnight.  Patience...

What I love is that they get MORE CHEESE and black pepper sprinkled on top before you pop them in the oven.  Mmmm.


Look at those beauties!  They are gorgeous and they taste so darn good.  I know you won't believe me when I tell you that they are light... not as in healthy but as in not dense... which makes me want to eat more of them.  They are also nice and salty which is a great change up to a sweet breakfast pastry.


CA doesn't usually like savory scones.  He also doesn't usually eat sweet stuff for breakfast.  He's quite an enigma.  He did, however, love these scones.  I had him take the leftovers to work, but I don't have much confidence that he got an "S" in sharing.  I have a feeling he deserves a big fat "U" because he hid them in his desk drawer and ate them all himself.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment