Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip

Holy crap this stuff is good!  It's about the weirdest sounding combination of things but I assure you that it's quite amazing.


PS, this is also about the easiest recipe in the world.  I'm not joking... you mix together 4 ingredients and bake it.  That's it!

OK, so you do want to be a little bit careful when you're mixing everything together that you don't totally smash the blueberries.  I mixed the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and nutmeg together first and then folded in the blueberries.  That's my only caveat, I swear.


While this sounds like an odd combination you must trust me that it is not.  It's got that salty sweet thing going on that I absolutely adore.  The sweet blueberries get hot and burst right open into the salty cheese mixture.  I'm telling you, it's freakin' amazing.  It was so good that I burned the crap out of the roof of my mouth because I couldn't wait for it to cool down before I ate it.  (Note to self to pull it out of the oven a few minutes before serving to save yourself guests from injuries.)

I served this to some of my favorite ladies for our book club gathering and it was a smashing success.  They all really loved it.  The original recipe recommends serving it with toasted bread, but I cheated and served it with pita chips and tortilla chips.  I originally thought that the pita chips were the way to go (in fact, I only put the tortilla chips out because my GFF (Gluten Free Friend) was attending) but everyone agreed that the tortilla chips were the preferred dipping device. 

I will definitely be keeping this recipe in the rotation.  It's really a unique and delicious thing to serve to guests and takes approximately zero time to make.  Everybody wins.


Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients

8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
7 oz. white cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup Blueberries
Pita Chips, Tortilla Chips or Toasted French Bread for Serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese with grated cheddar and nutmeg. Fold in blueberries. Place in an oven-safe dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is hot, golden and bubbly, and blueberries and bursting.

Serve hot with pita chips or toasted french bread slices.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment