Monday, July 22, 2013

Roasted Poblano Slaw

Did you miss me?  I missed me too.

A girl is at liberty to change her mind.  Heck, everyone's allowed to change their mind.  Remember when I told you about my favorite southwestern slaw recipe?  I changed my mind.  So there.

Now I'm crushing on this recipe and I owe it to the roasted poblano peppers.

I, unfortunately, took exactly zero photos of me roasting the pepper.  Which is too bad because it's a handy little technique.  There are a bunch of tutorials online on how to do this but it's pretty darn easy.  (You do need a GAS stove though, electric will not work.  If you don't have gas, you could use the oven or the grill.)  I'll tell you all about it in the instructions.


There aren't a ton of differences between this recipe and the original... I really just added the roasted poblano and subbed a red pepper for the green pepper.  The red pepper adds some nice color but you can stick with the green or go wild and use yellow or orange.  Scandalous.  Oh yeah, and I used a bag of shredded slaw instead of cutting up my own cabbage.  Scandalous/Lazy.


The roasted poblano pepper is not hot.  They really add no heat to the slaw... you've got the jalapenos for that.  They do add some depth of flavor and a little smokiness which I'm digging right now.

Roasted Poblano Slaw

Ingredients:
1 bag Shredded Slaw or 7 cups of Shredded Cabbage
1 Red Pepper, sliced
1 Jalapeno, diced
1 Poblano Pepper, roasted and sliced
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
1 T Olive Oil
3 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 T Tequila
1 T Agave
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
3/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Chili Powder

Instructions:
To roast the poblano, turn a burner on the stove to high and put the pepper on the grate over the flame, turning as the outside turns good and black.  Once all the sides are black and fully charred, wrap the hot pepper in plastic wrap and let it cool for 15 minutes.  Once cool, unwrap the pepper and rub off the charred black exterior.  The pepper can then be seeded and sliced.

Combine the cabbage, pepper, jalapeno, poblano and cilantro in a large bowl.   Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.  Let the slaw sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.

Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment