Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grilled Basil Lime Chicken

Yesterday I told you all about the Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip that I served as an appetizer to my beautiful book club ladies.  Today I'm going to tell you all about the main course.  Actually, you're going to hear about this book club dinner for a while since I still have a side dish and three dessert components to tell you about.  I personally love making book club dinners because...

(1) I love the ladies who come to book club.
(2) My guests are always very appreciative of the effort I put into making the meal.
(3) I get to be challenged in my cooking because we have a pseudo gluten free book club (one of our members is gluten free - she may think it's an obstacle but I like it).
(4) Book club dinners always include dessert.
(5) They also include a little bit of discussion about the book and a lot of discussion about the latest cover of US Weekly and bad reality shows.



This chicken was perfect to serve at book club because most of the prep is done the day before.  The chicken is marinated overnight in lime juice, mustard, Worcestershire, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, green onions.  That way, when I got home from work all I had to do was plop these little buddies on the grill.  (You should read that to say that CA manned the grill... he's the perfect book club husband in that he grilled the chicken and promptly disappeared so we could have girl talk.  I'm pretty sure he wanted to be as far away from that as possible.)

After the chicken is grilled it gets drizzled with a mixture of lime juice, olive oil, green onions, garlic and basil while it's still warm.  The fact that the sauce is not cooked really keeps the flavor light, fresh and summery.



I really liked that this dish is healthy and still really flavorful.  The lime and basil flavors are incredibly bright.  My ladies liked it and so did CA so I guess it's lady and man approved food.


Grilled Basil Lime Chicken
Adapted from Goodeness Gracious
Serves 6

Ingredients

For the Marinade
2 Limes, zested and juiced
3 T Olive Oil
3 T Dijon Mustard
3 T Worcestershire Sauce
3 T Soy Sauce
3 Green Onions, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
3 lbs Chicken Breasts (I had 4 large breasts and cut them in half)

For the Sauce
1 Lime, zested and juiced
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 Green Onions, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 T Basil, chopped

Instructions
Combine the ingredients for the marinate in a large plastic baggie.  Add the chicken to the bag and squeeze to make sure the chicken is completely covered.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl.  This can be done just before cooking the chicken or up to a day ahead.

Preheat the grill and grill the chicken until cooked through - approximately 8 minutes per side.  Remove the chicken from the grill, cover with aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the chicken, put it on a platter and top with the sauce.

Enjoy!
Julie

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!!! I am mourning our grill in a major way. I didn't realize how much we used it until we moved to the city and don't have it. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regan! You could definitely make this indoors in a grill pan or skillet. Maybe sear both sides and then put it in the oven for a few minutes to finish cooking. I think CA and I would miss the grill if we had to give it up too!!

      Delete